Newbury Park father charged with murdering children appears in court
- Credit: Archant
A shop worker has appeared in court accused of the murder of his young children while his wife was in the shower.
Pavinya Nithiyakumar, aged 19 months, and Nigash Nithiyakumar, who was three years old, were fatally wounded with a knife at the family home in Aldborough Road North, Newbury Park, on Sunday, April 26.
Pavinya was pronounced dead at the scene while Nigash died in hospital.
Nadarajah Nithiyakumar, 40, was rushed to hospital with knife wounds.
He was charged with murder after being released from hospital.
On Tuesday, May 12 he appeared at the Old Bailey for a Skype hearing before Judge Nigel Lickley QC.
Appearing by video link from jail, he spoke to confirm his identity, with help from a Tamil translator.
- 1 Met investigates cause of Mossford Green cemetery blaze
- 2 Girl, 17, held on suspicion of terrorism offences after east London arrest
- 3 Major tube strike to follow Queen's Platinum Jubilee long weekend
- 4 Caught on camera: 6 wanted fly-tippers and litterbugs
- 5 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 6 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 7 Wendy's Ilford: New opening date for High Road restaurant after delay
- 8 Travel bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
- 9 Wendy's to open Ilford restaurant next week
- 10 Zouma brothers to face the courts amid animal abuse allegations
He confirmed to the judge that he spoke some English, having worked in a shop.
Judge Lickley set a plea hearing at the Old Bailey for July 28 when a trial date is expected to be fixed.
He remanded the defendant into custody.