Newbury Park father charged with murdering children appears in court
- Credit: Archant
A shop worker has appeared in court accused of the murder of his young children while his wife was in the shower.
Pavinya Nithiyakumar, aged 19 months, and Nigash Nithiyakumar, who was three years old, were fatally wounded with a knife at the family home in Aldborough Road North, Newbury Park, on Sunday, April 26.
Pavinya was pronounced dead at the scene while Nigash died in hospital.
Nadarajah Nithiyakumar, 40, was rushed to hospital with knife wounds.
He was charged with murder after being released from hospital.
On Tuesday, May 12 he appeared at the Old Bailey for a Skype hearing before Judge Nigel Lickley QC.
Appearing by video link from jail, he spoke to confirm his identity, with help from a Tamil translator.
- 1 Search continues for man who fled scene of Loxford stabbing
- 2 Fairlop Waters car park to transform into ice-rink for Christmas
- 3 Update on search for older man walking barefoot along Chigwell Road
- 4 Missing man seen on Chigwell Road found 'safe and well'
- 5 Covid survivor, 16, urges people to get jabbed after months in hospital
- 6 Warning issued over fake Omicron variant test scam
- 7 Nine rescue pets looking for homes this Christmas in east London
- 8 Masks, PCR tests and boosters: New measures to combat Omicron variant
- 9 Waitrose and Halfords recall items over health and safety concerns
- 10 What are the chances of a white Christmas in London?
He confirmed to the judge that he spoke some English, having worked in a shop.
Judge Lickley set a plea hearing at the Old Bailey for July 28 when a trial date is expected to be fixed.
He remanded the defendant into custody.