Newbury Park father charged with murdering children appears in court
- Credit: Archant
A shop worker has appeared in court accused of the murder of his young children while his wife was in the shower.
Pavinya Nithiyakumar, aged 19 months, and Nigash Nithiyakumar, who was three years old, were fatally wounded with a knife at the family home in Aldborough Road North, Newbury Park, on Sunday, April 26.
Pavinya was pronounced dead at the scene while Nigash died in hospital.
Nadarajah Nithiyakumar, 40, was rushed to hospital with knife wounds.
He was charged with murder after being released from hospital.
You may also want to watch:
On Tuesday, May 12 he appeared at the Old Bailey for a Skype hearing before Judge Nigel Lickley QC.
Appearing by video link from jail, he spoke to confirm his identity, with help from a Tamil translator.
- 1 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 2 Redbridge parents' group donates six new laptops to families in need
- 3 Restaurant faces losing licence after allegations of illegal club nights during pandemic
- 4 One in 20 may have had Covid-19 last week in Redbridge, Newham and Barking and Dagenham, figures suggest
- 5 Residents furious after car park and lift flooded since before Christmas
- 6 Covid deaths increase at Queen's and King George hospitals this week
- 7 Restaurant stripped of its alcohol licence
- 8 Growing public support for tougher pet theft sentences
- 9 Need for Frenford Foodbank won't end when pandemic does, say volunteers
- 10 Safeguarding concerns at 'outstanding' Atam Academy in Chadwell Heath
He confirmed to the judge that he spoke some English, having worked in a shop.
Judge Lickley set a plea hearing at the Old Bailey for July 28 when a trial date is expected to be fixed.
He remanded the defendant into custody.