Newbury Park father charged with murdering children appears in court
- Credit: Archant
A shop worker has appeared in court accused of the murder of his young children while his wife was in the shower.
Pavinya Nithiyakumar, aged 19 months, and Nigash Nithiyakumar, who was three years old, were fatally wounded with a knife at the family home in Aldborough Road North, Newbury Park, on Sunday, April 26.
Pavinya was pronounced dead at the scene while Nigash died in hospital.
Nadarajah Nithiyakumar, 40, was rushed to hospital with knife wounds.
He was charged with murder after being released from hospital.
You may also want to watch:
On Tuesday, May 12 he appeared at the Old Bailey for a Skype hearing before Judge Nigel Lickley QC.
Appearing by video link from jail, he spoke to confirm his identity, with help from a Tamil translator.
- 1 'Uproar' at decision to fell protected oak tree in Hainault
- 2 Former Homebase development plans approved
- 3 Woodford Green and Forest Gate residents criticise councils over flooding
- 4 Water company apologises for phone line waits as flood response branded 'woefully inadequate'
- 5 More than £5m worth of stolen vehicles recovered in first Redbridge Action Week
- 6 Inquest: Newham driver died of 'misadventure' after Redbridge police chase
- 7 Cost of damage runs into thousands as Clayhall street clears up after floods
- 8 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 9 Barts Trust ends major incident but situation 'critical' at Whipps Cross
- 10 Developments approved in Redbridge so far in 2021
He confirmed to the judge that he spoke some English, having worked in a shop.
Judge Lickley set a plea hearing at the Old Bailey for July 28 when a trial date is expected to be fixed.
He remanded the defendant into custody.