Families found living in underground rooms in Seven Kings with no light or ventilation
- Credit: Archant
Multiple families have been found living in three underground rooms without any natural light or proper ventilation.
Officers from Redbridge Council made the shocking discovery at a property in the Seven Kings area on Wednesday and have since shut the premises and served notice to the landlord.
They say they are still investigating a further 70 addresses in the area.
The London Fire Brigade has also served its own prohibition notices as the property had no means of escape in case of a fire.
The council raided the property as part of their latest action day in partnership with the police, to clamp down on anti-social behaviour, fly-tipping and issues around licensing and environmental health.
You may also want to watch:
Further details relating to the number of people living at the property, as well as their age, sex and how long they have been living there, are yet to be released.
- 1 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 2 Ilford care home turned into studio flats for rough sleepers
- 3 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
- 4 Chadwell Heath death: Barking man charged with murder of Maria Rawlings
- 5 Cannabis and rambo knife sniffed out by police dog in Gants Hill bust
- 6 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 7 Labour's shadow cabinet reshuffle sees new role for Ilford North MP
- 8 Man's suicide method thoughts were not in clinical notes, inquest hears
- 9 Murder probe launched after mother-of-two’s body found in Chadwell Heath
- 10 Ilford mosque attendees attacked with eggs and stones