Extra police patrols after Wanstead armed chase
- Credit: Michael Begley
Police have been carrying out extra patrols around Elmcroft Avenue, following the armed chase on November 1.
A car, being pursued by officers from East Ham, crashed into a wall and a parked Mercedes in the residential street in Wanstead.
The suspects, reportedly carrying a gun, were chased by police through people’s gardens.
Young children had to hide in their rooms while armed officers searched residents’ houses.
Two boys, a 16-year-old and a 17-year-old, were arrested at the scene for driving and firearms offences and have now been bailed.
Police are still trying to trace the car’s other occupants, reportedly an additional two males.
Wendy Poulton, who lives around the corner in Elmcroft Gardens, said: “It shocked a lot of people. You don’t generally see crime in Wanstead.”
- 1 40 firefighters tackle blaze after boiler catches on fire
- 2 Wendy's Ilford: New opening date for High Road restaurant after delay
- 3 Woman arrested after crashing in garden wall in Woodford Green
- 4 Schools and staff across east London up for national awards
- 5 Dispersal order enforced in parts of Gants Hill, Clayhall and Barkingside
- 6 Wendy's to open Ilford restaurant next week
- 7 'Staffing crisis' means children's hospice cannot offer end of life care
- 8 TfL: Revamped Northern line latest addition to ever-improving network
- 9 Jailed: 'Selfish' 135mph driver spotted speeding on M11 near Woodford
- 10 Ilford man dies after M11 crash near Chigwell