Ex-Goodmayes man charged with wife’s murder after shooting at Essex care home
- Credit: PA PICTURE DESK
An 86-year-old man, who lived with his wife in Goodmayes for more than 20 years, has been charged with her murder after she was shot in an Essex care home.
Ronald King was last night charged with killing Rita King, 81, at the Delamer House care home in Naze Park Road, Walton-on-the-Naze, on Monday morning.
Mrs King was declared dead at the scene, with a provisional post mortem finding she died of gunshot wounds to the head.
Mr King, of Cedar Close, Walton-on-the-Naze, is due to appear in Chelmsford Magistrates Court today.
The couple lived in Kilmartin Road, Goodmayes for more than 20 years, and were active members of Goodmayes Bowls Club, based in Goodmayes Park.
One former neighbour, who did not wish to be named, said she was “shocked”.
“They were a quiet couple, we would say hello to them, they would do bowling in the park, that was what they did together.”
- 1 Murder investigation launched after woman fatally attacked in Ilford
- 2 Man arrested on suspicion of Ilford murder as police name victim
- 3 Man dies after being found unresponsive in Valentines Park
- 4 Homes under the Planner: Applications approved or refused in Redbridge
- 5 Air ambulance lands after man stabbed in South Woodford
- 6 Man denies committing GBH during alleged robbery at Barkingside Tesco
- 7 Guilty: Hainault man admits traffic light stabbing
- 8 Found: Missing girl who was believed to have travelled to east London
- 9 Teen found guilty of robbing boy, 12, in Romford while carrying knife
- 10 Goodmayes fatal stabbing: Double murder trial set to open
She said Mr King had previously been in the army, and remembered him only having one arm – which another resident also recalled.
The neighbour continued: “He was very proud of his cars, he would change it every two or three years.
“Every car he had he would look after.”
She added she thought the Kings had moved away from Goodmayes about five years ago, after living in the area for more than 20 years.
“They lived here before we moved in 27 years ago, her [Mrs King’s] mum used to live in that house before her.”
Did you know Rita King? Call our newsdesk on 0208 477 3821 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.