‘Everybody was running out’ – woman describes panic as trio attacked guard in Ilford’s Iceland supermarket
A supermarket customer who heard a security guard being attacked with bottles and a flurry of punches has spoken of how shoppers fled the store in a panic.
Loreen Lewis was inside the Iceland supermarket in High Road, Ilford, when three yobs surrounded the guard and began their violent onslaught.
Describing Sunday’s incident as “very frightening and scary”, the Manor Park resident said: “You could hear an explosion of bottles breaking on the floor. Everybody was running out.
“People were picking up their babies and running.”
“I didn’t know what to do. I went to the front of my store with my trolley – it was all happening at the back by the other entrance.”
She added: “The floor was full of blood so I knew someone was hurt.”
The three yobs landed a volley of punches on the security guard before one smashed two glass bottles of Mighty Malt – a non-alcoholic energy malt drink – over his head.
- 1 RideLondon 2022: East and central London roads among 100 miles of closures
- 2 Two people arrested following Ilford drugs lab bust
- 3 Revealed: Your favourite fish and chip shop in east London
- 4 Five jailed after 'cold blooded' murder of Enfield father
- 5 Boy, 2, injured after 'dog attack' at funfair
- 6 Labour wins Mayfield seats in delayed election
- 7 Travel bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
- 8 Maskless passengers on London trains and buses fined 4,000 times
- 9 Girl, 17, held on suspicion of terrorism offences after east London arrest
- 10 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
A member of staff said the guard noticed the three acting suspiciously outside the store at about 3.15pm.
After challenging them inside the store they turned violent.
The staff member said: “He tried to protect himself but he didn’t get the chance to hit them back.
“He had three people hitting him from three different sides.”
Speaking of the commotion, which in total lasted “about five minutes”, the store worker added: “There was some panic.
“As soon as they hit him they ran out. They were not inside [the store] for very long.
“The duty manager was present and he calmed people down.”
The security guard, who a London Ambulance Service spokesman said was aged his 50s, was released from hospital on Monday afternoon.
The three attackers are said to be teenagers.
No arrests have been made.
Anyone with information should call Ilford CID on 020 8345 2624, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.