Pregnant bunny and her babies abandoned in Barkingside
- Credit: Archant
Seven rabbits, including one bunny mum-to-be, were dumped in a box in Barkingside.
On Sunday, January 20, a dog walker spotted the little furry family in a cardboard container by Fairlop Waters, in Forest Road.
The member of the public took the rabbits home and discovered that the brown and grey bunnies were in good condition, with one of them expecting a baby.
They then notified the RSPCA who ventured to Redbridge to rescue the rabbits and staff member Insp Mitchell Smith, said: “There is never an excuse to abandon an animal in this way.
“It’s very chilly at the moment and these rabbits would have been open to the elements as well as any predators.
You may also want to watch:
“These are domestic pets not wild rabbits who can fend for themselves.”
Insp Smith said he sent the bunnies to a “boarding establishment” while a search for the owners is carried out.
- 1 Childhood sweethearts to open 'Brick Lane-style' deli in Barkingside
- 2 Ex-council staff who was sacked after bailiffs turned up at his work loses unfair dismissal claim
- 3 'Like prisoners in our home': Parents of attacked 13-year-old speak out
- 4 Thirteen-year-old boy attacked in Ilford
- 5 Walk It Out founder launches women's boxing classes
- 6 Restaurant apologises after allegations of verbal abuse between staff
- 7 Vulnerable woman dies burning charcoal for warmth after gas and electricity are cut off
- 8 Covid patient numbers rebound at Barts Health hospitals
- 9 New boats arrive at Fairlop Waters amid country park investment plan
- 10 Eatery 'at risk of closure' as scammers exploit Just Eat loophole
“They are all really nice and friendly so have clearly been living in a home before they were abandoned, even the 12-week-old babies are friendly and don’t mind being picked up,” he added,
“If an owner can not be found the rabbits will be rehomed.”
The RSPCA has now launched an appeal and is asking anyone with information about the incident to make contact.
“Contact the RSPCA inspectorate appeal line, in strictest confidence, on 0300 123 8018,” he said.
In 2018, there were 857 incidents of abandoned rabbits reported to the charity’s cruelty line across England and Wales.
To help the RSPCA continue rescuing, rehabilitating and rehoming animals in desperate need of care visit rspca.org.uk