Crimewatch appeal sheds new light on Ilford murder of doorman Christopher Lombard
- Credit: Archant
A Crimewatch appeal to find the killers of an Ilford doorman ‘executed’ in a nightclub in 1996 has seen new names and information brought to light.
The appeal, aired on last night’s BBC Crimewatch programme, featured a reconstruction of the event, which saw 30-year-old Christopher Lombard shot twice in the head while on duty at The Island, a former nightclub in Ilford High Road.
This Sunday will be the 17-year-anniversary of the murder, which took place on December 1, 1996. No-one has ever been charged.
Det Insp Robert Pack described the murder as “cold blooded, ruthless” and “tantamount to execution”.
Two men who had earlier been turned away from the club, returned to fire seven bullets through the glass door, killing Mr Lombard and injuring two others.
Mr Lombard’s 83-year-old mother Thelma made an emotional plea on the programme for justice to be done in her lifetime, saying the news of his death “almost killed her”.
“He was a gentle giant, he would do anything for anybody,” she said.
- 1 Five jailed after 'cold blooded' murder of Enfield father
- 2 Boy, 2, injured after 'dog attack' at funfair
- 3 7 of the best Chinese restaurants with delivery in east London
- 4 Commission ends safeguarding probe into charity
- 5 Update: Sixth arrest following killing of Michael Ugwa
- 6 Lightbulb likely cause of Khartoum Road house fire
- 7 VOTE: Which east London fish and chip shop is your favourite?
- 8 Ilford man has van crushed, given curfew for Barking and Dagenham fly-tips
- 9 Girl, 17, held on suspicion of terrorism offences after east London arrest
- 10 Met investigates cause of Mossford Green cemetery blaze
“I’m convinced there is someone out there who knows what happened that night. My family and I need closure,”
Following the reconstruction, efits of the two main suspects and CCTV footage of them running from the scene were shown, along with details of the £20,000 reward on offer for details leading to their conviction.
The Crimewatch update, shown 35 minutes after the main programme, revealed two new possible names for the suspects had been put forward “as well as some interesting new information”.
Mr Pack added: “This is very good news for us. This was a major incident. People will have bragged about it as that’s the sort of individuals we’re talking about. Those people who heard that, need to ring us.”
One of the suspects is described as a dark-skinned black man, aged 17-20, 5ft 8ins with hair shaved at the sides and closely cropped on top. He had a small circular scar above his right eye and another circular scar right of his mouth.
The second suspect is described as Mediterranean, 5ft 10ins, aged 18-25 with dark hair and a moustache.
Anyone with information can contact the incident room on 020 8345 3868 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.