Couple robbed at knifepoint in their Ilford home by masked burglars
- Credit: Archant
A police hunt is underway after a couple in their 50s were robbed at knifepoint by masked burglars who broke into their home in Ilford.
One of the suspects cut the necklace from a grandmother’s neck as his accomplice pointed a knife at her husband’s throat during a raid in South Park Drive, on Monday just before 3am.
The burglar put his foot on the woman’s chest to restrain her and used a pair of pliers to remove her necklace before ordering her to hand over more jewellery.
The pair fled through the back garden when they were disturbed by other people in the house including the couple’s 20-year-old granddaughter who called the police.
The suspects were wearing dark clothing.
You may also want to watch:
One was white and the other black and both were in their mid-to-late 20s.
Detective Constable Sophie Mostyn from Redbridge CID said: “This was a terrifying ordeal for the victims and it has left them extremely distressed.
- 1 Safeguarding concerns at 'outstanding' Chadwell Heath academy
- 2 Growing public support for tougher pet theft sentences
- 3 Have you seen this 52-year-old man missing from Ilford?
- 4 Police and council join forces to help raise Covid awareness
- 5 Derelict pavilion in Goodmayes Park destroyed by fire
- 6 Council must pay £4,500 for failing disabled brothers
- 7 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 8 Royal Mail lists six Redbridge postcodes hit by Covid postal delays
- 9 Covid outbreak at Woodford Green care home delays vaccinations
- 10 Consultation on proposed controlled parking zones to begin
“We are determined to catch those responsible and put them before the courts.
“We’d appeal for anyone with any information to contact us as a matter of priority.”
Anyone with information should call police on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.