Couple robbed at knifepoint in their Ilford home by masked burglars
- Credit: Archant
A police hunt is underway after a couple in their 50s were robbed at knifepoint by masked burglars who broke into their home in Ilford.
One of the suspects cut the necklace from a grandmother’s neck as his accomplice pointed a knife at her husband’s throat during a raid in South Park Drive, on Monday just before 3am.
The burglar put his foot on the woman’s chest to restrain her and used a pair of pliers to remove her necklace before ordering her to hand over more jewellery.
The pair fled through the back garden when they were disturbed by other people in the house including the couple’s 20-year-old granddaughter who called the police.
The suspects were wearing dark clothing.
You may also want to watch:
One was white and the other black and both were in their mid-to-late 20s.
Detective Constable Sophie Mostyn from Redbridge CID said: “This was a terrifying ordeal for the victims and it has left them extremely distressed.
- 1 Mercato Ilford 'delayed again' as council pushes for Christmas opening
- 2 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 3 'Not acceptable': Residents mount opposition to plumbers' building plan
- 4 'Sick and tired': More restaurants fall victim to Just Eat scammers
- 5 ‘Hard to comprehend’: MPs react as Sir David Amess dies after stabbing
- 6 Cross-party group demands mayor reject Tesco Goodmayes development
- 7 Jailed: Men who laundered £25m from cash and carry warehouses
- 8 Two more police 'enforcement hubs' to open in Redbridge
- 9 Six cars damaged and lamppost felled in late-night Loxford crash
- 10 Chadwell Heath pharmacy to offer Covid-19 booster jabs with flu vaccine
“We are determined to catch those responsible and put them before the courts.
“We’d appeal for anyone with any information to contact us as a matter of priority.”
Anyone with information should call police on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.