Councillor stabbed in the chest by gang in Newbury Park
A councillor was stabbed in the chest last night just 50 yards from his home in Newbury Park.
It is believed that Cllr Ross Hatfull was attacked by four men who were attempting to steal his mobile phone.
The Labour councillor for Valentines ward was taken to the Royal London Hospital, Whitechapel.
Labour leader Jas Athwal said: “He’s lucky to be alive. An inch one way or the other and that would have been it.”
Cllr Hatfull was released at 5am this morning from accident and emergency and is now at his home in Kimberley Avenue.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Athwal said: “It’s sadly a sign of the times we live in that the price of a phone is worth more than the price of a human life. I am thankful that he is ok.”
Another attack in a neighbouring road reportedly also occurred last night.
- 1 Residents complain their Ilford street now 'full of crime'
- 2 Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer visits Redbridge on campaign trail
- 3 Ricardo Fuller death: Man charged with murder
- 4 Sadiq Khan comes to Redbridge ahead of London elections
- 5 Fire damages Ilford flats
- 6 Loxford and Seven Kings by-election candidates make case for your vote
- 7 Consultation launches on plans to move preschool and open excluded pupils facility at youth centre
- 8 Former Ilford South MP opens up on Labour departure in new book
- 9 Tributes to police officer killed in Ilford on 26th anniversary of death
- 10 Two men arrested after kidnapping in broad daylight in South Woodford