Councillor helps tackle shoplifter at Tesco Express in Wanstead
- Credit: Archant
A Redbridge councillor helped tackle a shoplifter trying to steal wine from a Wanstead supermarket this afternoon.
Cllr Paul Canal was passing Tesco Express, in High Street, when he saw a security guard struggling to stop the man around 4.30pm.
He said: “The shoplifter was a tall guy and the security guard was quite short and he was getting away.
“So I just walked behind them and used my weight to push him back inside the shop.”
Cllr Canal said he did not have to think twice about stepping in.
You may also want to watch:
“The adrenaline really kicks in,” he added.
He is concerned that crime on the High Street could rise after the closure of Wanstead Police Station.
- 1 Attempted murder arrest after woman seriously injured in Barkingside
- 2 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after elderly woman dies in Clayhall
- 3 Redbridge pubs gear up for outdoor opening
- 4 Barkingside axe attack: Man arrested on suspicion of attempted murder, police appeal for witnesses
- 5 Plans submitted for more than 500 homes on former Goodmayes Homebase site
- 6 Criticism of 'comedy of errors' consultation for Wanstead flat extension plans
- 7 Three arrests after cannabis raids in Dagenham and South Woodford
- 8 Plaistow man denies murdering two men in Goodmayes
- 9 Prince Philip death: Redbridge pays tribute to Duke of Edinburgh
- 10 Man in hospital after being slashed multiple times in Wanstead
Cllr Canal said: “I’ve been told by people who have lived here for 20 years that the area is experiencing more crime now.”
After a restructure of the Metropolitan Police next month, there will be nearly 90 more police officers in Redbridge but only one Pc and one PCSO will be permanently assigned to each ward.