Councillor helps tackle shoplifter at Tesco Express in Wanstead
- Credit: Archant
A Redbridge councillor helped tackle a shoplifter trying to steal wine from a Wanstead supermarket this afternoon.
Cllr Paul Canal was passing Tesco Express, in High Street, when he saw a security guard struggling to stop the man around 4.30pm.
He said: “The shoplifter was a tall guy and the security guard was quite short and he was getting away.
“So I just walked behind them and used my weight to push him back inside the shop.”
Cllr Canal said he did not have to think twice about stepping in.
You may also want to watch:
“The adrenaline really kicks in,” he added.
He is concerned that crime on the High Street could rise after the closure of Wanstead Police Station.
- 1 Two men assaulted with pole after car driven into them
- 2 Two men arrested after kidnapping in broad daylight in South Woodford
- 3 Hainault teen lands coveted slot on dance touring company
- 4 Pedestrian suffers 'life-threatening head injury' in Redbridge collision
- 5 Wanstead Market set to re-open
- 6 Police officer sacked after 'encouraging friend to lie about collision'
- 7 Man charged with murder after elderly woman found dead in bathtub in Clayhall home
- 8 Man in hospital after car flips over in Wanstead
- 9 Music from Jessie J and Olly Murs to feature in new musical in Romford
- 10 Barkingside axe attack: Man arrested on suspicion of attempted murder, police appeal for witnesses
Cllr Canal said: “I’ve been told by people who have lived here for 20 years that the area is experiencing more crime now.”
After a restructure of the Metropolitan Police next month, there will be nearly 90 more police officers in Redbridge but only one Pc and one PCSO will be permanently assigned to each ward.