Councillor helps tackle shoplifter at Tesco Express in Wanstead
- Credit: Archant
A Redbridge councillor helped tackle a shoplifter trying to steal wine from a Wanstead supermarket this afternoon.
Cllr Paul Canal was passing Tesco Express, in High Street, when he saw a security guard struggling to stop the man around 4.30pm.
He said: “The shoplifter was a tall guy and the security guard was quite short and he was getting away.
“So I just walked behind them and used my weight to push him back inside the shop.”
Cllr Canal said he did not have to think twice about stepping in.
You may also want to watch:
“The adrenaline really kicks in,” he added.
He is concerned that crime on the High Street could rise after the closure of Wanstead Police Station.
- 1 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 2 Redbridge parents' group donates six new laptops to families in need
- 3 One in 20 may have had Covid-19 last week in Redbridge, Newham and Barking and Dagenham, figures suggest
- 4 Restaurant faces losing licence after allegations of illegal club nights during pandemic
- 5 Residents furious after car park and lift flooded since before Christmas
- 6 Queen's and King George hospitals appeal for volunteers to support end of life patients
- 7 Restaurant stripped of its alcohol licence
- 8 Covid deaths increase at Queen's and King George hospitals this week
- 9 Growing public support for tougher pet theft sentences
- 10 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
Cllr Canal said: “I’ve been told by people who have lived here for 20 years that the area is experiencing more crime now.”
After a restructure of the Metropolitan Police next month, there will be nearly 90 more police officers in Redbridge but only one Pc and one PCSO will be permanently assigned to each ward.