Councillor helps tackle shoplifter at Tesco Express in Wanstead
- Credit: Archant
A Redbridge councillor helped tackle a shoplifter trying to steal wine from a Wanstead supermarket this afternoon.
Cllr Paul Canal was passing Tesco Express, in High Street, when he saw a security guard struggling to stop the man around 4.30pm.
He said: “The shoplifter was a tall guy and the security guard was quite short and he was getting away.
“So I just walked behind them and used my weight to push him back inside the shop.”
Cllr Canal said he did not have to think twice about stepping in.
“The adrenaline really kicks in,” he added.
He is concerned that crime on the High Street could rise after the closure of Wanstead Police Station.
- 1 Fairlop Waters car park to transform into ice-rink for Christmas
- 2 Barking cash and carry boss jailed for five years for money laundering
- 3 Mercato Metropolitano to host taster market in Ilford
- 4 Call for witnesses after man, 54, dies following Eastern Avenue collision
- 5 Festivities planned to mark Ilford's Christmas lights switch-on
- 6 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 7 Thief threatened woman with bottle at Ilford High Road Sainsbury's Local
- 8 Two more men charged with murder after fatal stabbing of teen in Loxford
- 9 Chance of snow in London this weekend
- 10 Trial of trio accused of Loxford killing set for January
Cllr Canal said: “I’ve been told by people who have lived here for 20 years that the area is experiencing more crime now.”
After a restructure of the Metropolitan Police next month, there will be nearly 90 more police officers in Redbridge but only one Pc and one PCSO will be permanently assigned to each ward.