Controversial Woodford Green Islamic centre attacked with a brick
- Credit: Archant
A controversial Islamic centre in Woodford Green reportedly had a brick thrown through its window on Monday night - the latest in a spate of incidents.
The next day the Woodford Muslim Cultural Centre, in Snakes Lane East, had both a door and part of a window boarded over. There were no reported injuries.
The anti-Muslim violence website TellMAMAUK reported, last week, the word ‘bacon’ had been graffitied on a door at the centre.
In November 2014 a note was found at its entrance saying: “Enough is enough. A mosque is not wanted in Woodford. The rivers of blood are close to overflowing.”
Bashir Chaudhry, chairman of the Redbridge Islamic Centre, said: “Those who have any fear or concern should talk to each other.”
You may also want to watch:
The centre was involved in a protracted battle, between the owners, residents and councillors, for planning permission.
It was initially denied permission by Redbridge Council, but that decision was overturned by an independent planning inspector in July.
- 1 Two men assaulted with pole after car driven into them
- 2 Two men arrested after kidnapping in broad daylight in South Woodford
- 3 Fairlop Waters, numbers, NHS and child exploitation
- 4 Pedestrian suffers 'life-threatening head injury' in Redbridge collision
- 5 Police officer sacked after 'encouraging friend to lie about collision'
- 6 Man charged with murder after elderly woman found dead in bathtub in Clayhall home
- 7 Hainault teen lands coveted slot on dance touring company
- 8 Man in hospital after car flips over in Wanstead
- 9 Barkingside axe attack: Man arrested on suspicion of attempted murder, police appeal for witnesses
- 10 Two men arrested in Chigwell on suspicion of kidnap
Cllr Paul Canal (Con, Bridge), who opposed the inspector’s decision due to the loss of retail space, said: “I oppose violence in all forms. It is distressing that the catalyst for this was the decision by a planning inspector who was not from the borough.”
Redbridge Police are investigating the allegation of criminal damage. Anyone with information should call Redbridge CID on 101.
Woodford Muslim Cultural Centre were contacted for comment.