Controversial Woodford Green Islamic centre attacked with a brick
- Credit: Archant
A controversial Islamic centre in Woodford Green reportedly had a brick thrown through its window on Monday night - the latest in a spate of incidents.
The next day the Woodford Muslim Cultural Centre, in Snakes Lane East, had both a door and part of a window boarded over. There were no reported injuries.
The anti-Muslim violence website TellMAMAUK reported, last week, the word ‘bacon’ had been graffitied on a door at the centre.
In November 2014 a note was found at its entrance saying: “Enough is enough. A mosque is not wanted in Woodford. The rivers of blood are close to overflowing.”
Bashir Chaudhry, chairman of the Redbridge Islamic Centre, said: “Those who have any fear or concern should talk to each other.”
You may also want to watch:
The centre was involved in a protracted battle, between the owners, residents and councillors, for planning permission.
It was initially denied permission by Redbridge Council, but that decision was overturned by an independent planning inspector in July.
- 1 Ilford Exchange Debenhams to permanently close
- 2 Funeral service for 'giant of Aldborough Hatch' Ron Jeffries to be streamed on Facebook
- 3 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 4 Charge! New fleet of electric vehicles for Redbridge Council
- 5 Chigwell school puts pupils' baking skills to the test
- 6 Spiritual Life: What next for the great Hindu temples of Redbridge?
- 7 Restaurant faces losing licence after allegations of illegal club nights during pandemic
- 8 'Scrapping Universal Credit uplift will lead to poverty', MP says
- 9 Residents furious after car park and lift flooded since before Christmas
- 10 Queen's and King George hospitals appeal for volunteers to support end of life patients
Cllr Paul Canal (Con, Bridge), who opposed the inspector’s decision due to the loss of retail space, said: “I oppose violence in all forms. It is distressing that the catalyst for this was the decision by a planning inspector who was not from the borough.”
Redbridge Police are investigating the allegation of criminal damage. Anyone with information should call Redbridge CID on 101.
Woodford Muslim Cultural Centre were contacted for comment.