Concerns raised over lack of charges made in Loxford shooting
- Credit: Archant
Residents have expressed concern over a lack of charges brought regarding a daylight shooting close to a park were children were playing.
Two men were arrested shortly after the shooting in Loxford Lane, Ilford, on Monday, August 8, and bailed to return in November, but neither are thought to be the gunman.
A 22-year-old man was shot in the back after a man allegedly got out of a car and blasted a shotgun twice, leading a stray pellet to enter Loxford Park, injuring an 11-year-old boy as he played.
Tanweer Khan, of Dawlish Drive, Goodmayes, said: “I’m just disappointed that they [the police] have not found the right people.
“These people are obviously loose on the streets then.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Khan, alongside former Redbridge mayor Filly Maravala, campaigned for more police patrols 10 years ago, after a man brandished a gun in the park.
“If the people are still out and about they might hit somebody else and [get] somebody else injured,” he told the Recorder.
- 1 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 2 Redbridge parents' group donates six new laptops to families in need
- 3 Restaurant faces losing licence after allegations of illegal club nights during pandemic
- 4 Queen's and King George hospitals appeal for volunteers to support end of life patients
- 5 One in 20 may have had Covid-19 last week in Redbridge, Newham and Barking and Dagenham, figures suggest
- 6 Residents furious after car park and lift flooded since before Christmas
- 7 Restaurant stripped of its alcohol licence
- 8 Growing public support for tougher pet theft sentences
- 9 Spiritual Life: What next for the great Hindu temples of Redbridge?
- 10 Covid deaths increase at Queen's and King George hospitals this week
“As soon as those people are taken off the streets the better.”
A resident who lives in the Medway Close estate, in Loxford Lane, accused authorities of not doing enough to tackle the incident.
He said: “All the kids hang around 11 to 12 at night. The police turn up in plain cars, talk to them and get back in their car and drive off.”
But a woman, who did not want to be named, said the amount of drug dealing in the area had “died down” since the incident happened.
The man also claimed the CCTV camera in the park was a dummy, but this was refuted by a Redbridge Council spokesman, who said it was “live”.
The 22-year-old man injured in the shooting has been discharged from hospital, as has the child.
Police are still trying to trace a black BMW, thought to have the front number plate missing.
Anyone with information is urged to call police on 101.