Complaint lodged with police over alleged racist incident in Redbridge
- Credit: Archant
The Metropolitan Police is investigating an allegation of racism against its officers in Redbridge.
Claims were made by Twitter user @PsykoUK about an alleged incident on August 29.
He tweeted he was “unlawfully detained, racially abused and physically assaulted” after an argument with a Transport for London (TfL) ticket inspector on a bus in Redbridge.
He added he had video of a police officer saying “people like me have the mental capacity of an animal”. The footage has not been made public.
Redbridge police (@MPSRedbridge) replied to @PsychoUK’s allegations on Twitter, writing: “@PsykoUK would welcome the opportunity to discuss this matter. Ring 101 and leave contact details for GPC Redbridge.”
You may also want to watch:
And today legal firm Waterfords Solicitors confirmed a “formal complaint” had been lodged with the Metropolitan Police and TfL on behalf of their client, @PsykoUK
A spokesman for the force said: “We can confirm that we are aware of an incident and are investigating. At this early stage it would inappropriate to comment any further.”
- 1 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 2 Developments approved in Redbridge so far in 2021
- 3 Ilford charity opens B&M store in Newbury Park
- 4 Redbridge clean-up underway after flash floods close A&E and damage homes
- 5 Update: Missing girl, 12, found 'safe and well'
- 6 Backlash as Fairlop Waters meadow turned into overflow parking
- 7 Dagenham set to sign youngster Aaron Blair as McQueen to go out on loan
- 8 Ceiling panels collapse and operations cancelled at hospital after flooding
- 9 Man charged with Ilford robbery
- 10 Patients urged to avoid Whipps Cross A&E after flooding
It is unclear where precisely where the incident took place and @PsykoUK’s real name has not been confirmed.
A TfL spokesman said: “We take complaints against our staff extremely seriously.
“We are aware of this incident and are currently carrying out an investigation into what happened.”