Community ‘shock’ following double killing in Ilford
- Credit: Archant
Neighbours have expressed their shock following a double killing in their street.
Comments come after a man in his 80s and a woman in her 50s were stabbed to death at a sheltered housing complex in Cecil Road, Ilford, on Saturday night.
Police officers were called to Fernways sheltered housing at 10.20pm following reports of an assault.
The man and the woman were found with stab wounds and pronounced dead at the scene around 11pm.
Ash Zaheer, of Cecil Road, said: “It’s sad that this has happened around here. It’s older people living there, they must be very shocked.”
Lloyd Samuels said: “I saw police and ambulance but I didn’t know what was going on. It’s quite shocking that something like this could happen to people of that age.”
Rana Rahman said: “A lot of families will be concerned.”
- 1 Search continues for man who fled scene of Loxford stabbing
- 2 Update on search for older man walking barefoot along Chigwell Road
- 3 Fairlop Waters car park to transform into ice-rink for Christmas
- 4 Missing man seen on Chigwell Road found 'safe and well'
- 5 Covid survivor, 16, urges people to get jabbed after months in hospital
- 6 Nine rescue pets looking for homes this Christmas in east London
- 7 Masks, PCR tests and boosters: New measures to combat Omicron variant
- 8 Warning issued over fake Omicron variant test scam
- 9 What are the chances of a white Christmas in London?
- 10 Waitrose and Halfords recall items over health and safety concerns
A resident, who wished not to be named, said: “It’s Ilford, it’s not a nice place.
“It’s like your sitting in your house and people are getting murdered across the street – I was completely oblivious.
“It’s all going down here – it’s a funny old place.”
Paul Mallin, 50, of Cecil Road, has been charged and will appear at Barkingside Magistrates Court today on suspicion of murder.