Community ‘shock’ following double killing in Ilford
- Credit: Archant
Neighbours have expressed their shock following a double killing in their street.
Comments come after a man in his 80s and a woman in her 50s were stabbed to death at a sheltered housing complex in Cecil Road, Ilford, on Saturday night.
Police officers were called to Fernways sheltered housing at 10.20pm following reports of an assault.
The man and the woman were found with stab wounds and pronounced dead at the scene around 11pm.
Ash Zaheer, of Cecil Road, said: “It’s sad that this has happened around here. It’s older people living there, they must be very shocked.”
You may also want to watch:
Lloyd Samuels said: “I saw police and ambulance but I didn’t know what was going on. It’s quite shocking that something like this could happen to people of that age.”
Rana Rahman said: “A lot of families will be concerned.”
- 1 Surplus of primary school places now but shortage expected within 10 years
- 2 Consultation on proposed controlled parking zones to begin
- 3 Almost 250 homes without internet in Goodmayes after car accident takes out telecoms box
- 4 GPs roll up their sleeves to support colleagues at Queen's Hospital
- 5 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 6 Covid outbreak at Woodford Green care home delays vaccinations
- 7 Royal Mail lists six Redbridge postcodes hit by Covid postal delays
- 8 Redevelopment plans likely to be approved despite 144 objections
- 9 Life sentence for Chigwell man convicted of murder
- 10 Double murder arrest as dramatic footage shows police detaining woman
A resident, who wished not to be named, said: “It’s Ilford, it’s not a nice place.
“It’s like your sitting in your house and people are getting murdered across the street – I was completely oblivious.
“It’s all going down here – it’s a funny old place.”
Paul Mallin, 50, of Cecil Road, has been charged and will appear at Barkingside Magistrates Court today on suspicion of murder.