Charlie Kutyauripo stabbing: Brother tells murderer ‘I feel sorry for you’
- Credit: Archant
The older brother of a 16-year-old boy who was stabbed to death by his former friend, has said he “feels sorry” for the killer.
Dennis Kutyauripo, 22, was speaking after a 17-year-old, from Seven Kings, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was convicted of murdering Charlie Kutyauripo at the Old Bailey today.
Charlie, of Collier Row, was stabbed at a 16th birthday party, in Ashton Playing Fields, Woodford Bridge, on January 9, last year.
He died at Whipps Cross Hospital, Leytonstone, less than an hour later.
Today Dennis told the Recorder that his family now “have peace”.
“Or at least part of it as nothing will bring him back,” he said.
“Knowing that he is off the streets and justice has been done.
- 1 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
- 2 Police no longer looking for man wanted in connection with assault
- 3 Travel Bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
- 4 Awards nomination for 'rights champion' schoolgirl, 9
- 5 'Time to end the injustice': Barts staff set to strike amid pay dispute
- 6 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
- 7 How often do Londoners cycle to work in each borough?
- 8 Ilford social club elects new president for 2022
- 9 Driver charged in connection with fatal collision on M11 due in court
- 10 Men jailed for using explosives in string of ATM thefts
“I just feel sorry for him.”
The teen was convicted at a retrial, just over a year after Charlie was murdered, and Dennis explained the legal process had take its toll on the family.
“We are relieved that the whole thing has come to an end,” he said.
“Now we can at least try to move on, we have to try and do that.”
Charlie’s aunt Hildgard Makadho said she hoped this discouraged youngsters to carry knives.
“Justice has been done and hopefully we won’t have so many incidents in the future.
“It has been devastating for the family, his mum has not been back to work since it happened,” she added.
The killer will be sentenced at the Old Bailey on Wednesday.