Charity calls for Redbridge residents to help tackle gun crime
- Credit: Archant
A national charity has called for the public to play a part in fighting gun crime in Redbridge after two shootings this August.
In the space of 22 days, a man and child were injured by shotgun pellets in Loxford Park, Ilford, and a 22-year-old was shot in Tiptree Crescent, Clayhall.
Before that, the borough’s most recent shooting was in Woodford Green in March, when two men fired at a house from the back of a scooter.
In the wake of the shootings, Crimestoppers has called for everyone to work together to prevent future incidents.
A charity spokesman said: “Information you have on someone carrying a gun illegally has the potential to help save a life.
“We don’t take personal details and we can’t trace calls or information given online. You won’t have to give a statement to police or appear in court.
“We don’t want to know who you are, just what you know. Help keep your streets safe and say no to gun violence by contacting Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or through our non-traceable online form at Crimestoppers-uk.org.”
- 1 Search continues for man who fled scene of Loxford stabbing
- 2 Fairlop Waters car park to transform into ice-rink for Christmas
- 3 Missing man seen on Chigwell Road found 'safe and well'
- 4 Update on search for older man walking barefoot along Chigwell Road
- 5 Covid survivor, 16, urges people to get jabbed after months in hospital
- 6 Warning issued over fake Omicron variant test scam
- 7 Nine rescue pets looking for homes this Christmas in east London
- 8 Masks, PCR tests and boosters: New measures to combat Omicron variant
- 9 Waitrose and Halfords recall items over health and safety concerns
- 10 What are the chances of a white Christmas in London?
Another charity working to make Redbridge safer is Words4Weapons, which gives young people the chance to voluntarily surrender weapons.
Its Bin Your Weapon scheme has two locations in the borough – at Seven Kings Methodist Church, Seven Kings Road, and the Orchard Community Hall, Broadmead Road, Woodford Green.