Burglar leaves empty-handed after 78-year-old homeowner fights him off in Seven Kings
A 78-year-old homeowner fought off a burglar who tried to get into his house posing as a drain worker yesterday morning.
At around 10.20am, a caller phoned the home in Tavistock Gardens, saying he was from “Drains-R-Us” and was sending a worker to fix a blocked drain in the back garden.
Just over an hour later, a man arrived saying he was from the drain firm and asked to be let in.
He walked in uninvited, prompting the homeowner to ask him to leave.
In what police describe as a “small altercation”, the man posing as the worker punched the pensioner in the face.
You may also want to watch:
But the older resident sent him running with a kick and he escaped empty-handed towards Longbridge Road.
The victim was not injured.
- 1 Neighbours slam council over Christchurch Green kiosk approval
- 2 Medics treat six people after three-car crash in Ilford
- 3 Best places to have a curry in Redbridge as chosen by readers
- 4 'Last of a dying breed': Ilford pub scoops readers' vote honour
- 5 Award for officers who tackled knife-wielding man at Ilford station
- 6 Bereaved dad's marathon tribute to son who died of rare brain disorder
- 7 Coffee fanatics to open 'lively' new coffee shop in Redbridge
- 8 Three new items Redbridge residents can recycle
- 9 Driver dies after Ilford shopfront crash
- 10 Man dies after fall near Hainault station
The suspect is described as a white male, approximately 40 years old, 5ft 8ins tall, with short black hair and an English accent.
He was wearing a black body warmer and did not carry any identification.
Anyone with information on the incident is asked to contact DC Colin Rumsam on 0208 345 2680.