Burglar leaves empty-handed after 78-year-old homeowner fights him off in Seven Kings
A 78-year-old homeowner fought off a burglar who tried to get into his house posing as a drain worker yesterday morning.
At around 10.20am, a caller phoned the home in Tavistock Gardens, saying he was from “Drains-R-Us” and was sending a worker to fix a blocked drain in the back garden.
Just over an hour later, a man arrived saying he was from the drain firm and asked to be let in.
He walked in uninvited, prompting the homeowner to ask him to leave.
In what police describe as a “small altercation”, the man posing as the worker punched the pensioner in the face.
You may also want to watch:
But the older resident sent him running with a kick and he escaped empty-handed towards Longbridge Road.
The victim was not injured.
- 1 Residents complain their Ilford street now 'full of crime'
- 2 Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer visits Redbridge on campaign trail
- 3 Sadiq Khan comes to Redbridge ahead of London elections
- 4 Ricardo Fuller death: Man charged with murder
- 5 Loxford and Seven Kings by-election candidates make case for your vote
- 6 Consultation launches on plans to move preschool and open excluded pupils facility at youth centre
- 7 Fire damages Ilford flats
- 8 Tributes to police officer killed in Ilford on 26th anniversary of death
- 9 Two men arrested after kidnapping in broad daylight in South Woodford
- 10 Redbridge parents' group donates more laptops to schools
The suspect is described as a white male, approximately 40 years old, 5ft 8ins tall, with short black hair and an English accent.
He was wearing a black body warmer and did not carry any identification.
Anyone with information on the incident is asked to contact DC Colin Rumsam on 0208 345 2680.