Boxing Day power cut hits Ilford businesses
- Credit: photo: Arnaud Stephenson
The festive season is synonymous with wonderful arrangements of Christmas lights in high streets across the country.
But for Ilford High Road it was a case of lights out – albeit temporarily – on Boxing Day afternoon.
Three businesses in Clements Road had no power for nearly two hours after a fault to an underground cable at 3.18pm.
Power was restored by engineers at 5.07pm.
Cineworld, in Clements Road, Ilford, was one of the businesses affected.
You may also want to watch:
Dinah Rahman was told to come back on Saturday to the cinema to get a refund.
“[It was] a bit inconvenient if people made a special journey to the cinema to join friends,” she said.
- 1 Two men arrested after kidnapping in broad daylight in South Woodford
- 2 Man charged with murder after elderly woman found dead in bathtub in Clayhall home
- 3 Ilford business owners adjust to new world on reopening
- 4 Pedestrian suffers 'life-threatening head injury' in Redbridge collision
- 5 Two men arrested in Chigwell on suspicion of kidnap
- 6 Barkingside axe attack: Man arrested on suspicion of attempted murder, police appeal for witnesses
- 7 Attempted murder arrest after woman seriously injured in Barkingside
- 8 Man in hospital after car flips over in Wanstead
- 9 Police officer sacked after 'encouraging friend to lie about collision'
- 10 Temporary post office to open in South Woodford
Rai Holdstock, store manager of Bodgers, in Station Road, Ilford, said his business was only affected by a power cut of “three seconds”.
“Everything went off and then back on again very quickly,” he said. “It did not affect my business at all.”