Boxing Day power cut hits Ilford businesses
- Credit: photo: Arnaud Stephenson
The festive season is synonymous with wonderful arrangements of Christmas lights in high streets across the country.
But for Ilford High Road it was a case of lights out – albeit temporarily – on Boxing Day afternoon.
Three businesses in Clements Road had no power for nearly two hours after a fault to an underground cable at 3.18pm.
Power was restored by engineers at 5.07pm.
Cineworld, in Clements Road, Ilford, was one of the businesses affected.
You may also want to watch:
Dinah Rahman was told to come back on Saturday to the cinema to get a refund.
“[It was] a bit inconvenient if people made a special journey to the cinema to join friends,” she said.
- 1 Plans for retail park development move step closer
- 2 Man wanted for allegedly driving 'recklessly' in Ilford with baby in car
- 3 Walk-in Covid vaccinations on offer at Valentines Park health fair
- 4 Ilford mother 'could have been saved' and NHS 'failed' her, family tells inquest
- 5 Primary schools in Redbridge rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 6 Police appeal to find girl, 12, last seen in Wanstead Park
- 7 Dispersal order issued ahead of fears over ‘illegal music events’
- 8 Seven Kings man charged in connection with alleged sex assault on boy
- 9 East London road and rail disruptions to travel this weekend
- 10 Man charged with Ilford robbery
Rai Holdstock, store manager of Bodgers, in Station Road, Ilford, said his business was only affected by a power cut of “three seconds”.
“Everything went off and then back on again very quickly,” he said. “It did not affect my business at all.”