Boss left ‘scared’ after South Woodford curry house raid
- Credit: Archant
The owner of a curry house has been left “scared” for his business after his restaurant was burgled.
Asad Ahmed, 34, has been “checking all the locks, all the time” after his Curry Leaf restaurant in High Road, South Woodford, was raided last week.
Thieves took £500 in cash and a Samsung tablet from the premises after breaking in during the early hours of Thursday.
Police officers and a helicopter were alerted at about 1am and two men were pursued nearby.
“This is the first time anything like this has happened here since I took over in August,” said Asad.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s definitely surprising that something like this could happen here in South Woodford.”
He now refuses to leave anything valuable at the restaurant after the tablet, which was used to play music for diners, was stolen.
- 1 95pc of children get place at first or second choice primary school
- 2 Have you seen Chantel, 15, missing from Ilford?
- 3 Two men assaulted with pole after car driven into them
- 4 Fire damages Ilford flats
- 5 Tributes to police officer killed in Ilford on 26th anniversary of death
- 6 Ricardo Fuller death: Man charged with murder
- 7 Pedestrian suffers 'life-threatening head injury' in Redbridge collision
- 8 Two men arrested after kidnapping in broad daylight in South Woodford
- 9 Fairlop Waters, numbers, NHS and child exploitation
- 10 Hainault teen lands coveted slot on dance touring company
Asad said: “You hear about these things but you never think it could happen to you – I’m just scared now and I’m definitely more cautious.
“You never think people will break into your shop.”
He thought the restaurant was “impossible to break into” but the raiders got in through the steel door at the back of the premises.
“They have to be punished for what they’ve done,” said Asad.
“They’ve done something they shouldn’t have and they should feel bad about it.”
The business community has rallied round to show support.
Asad, who lives in Bethnal Green, said: “Our neighbours have come to see me, the chicken and chips shop and the Caribbean takeaway next door – they’ve all been great.”
An 18-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of burglary and was bailed to return in March. Another man is at large.