Barkingside resident still without electricity after shop fire
A Barkingside resident is still without electricity more than a week after a fire devastated a shop below his flat.
Glenn Urwin was woken up by shouting outside as the fire blazed in Barkingside High Street on August 11.
He lives above Quidsaver, next to fashion store Spirit, which was gutted by the fire.
He said: “They had to move the girl at 120a because of smoke damage after she left her windows open.
“I think the only reason I’m still here is because the floor is concrete and not wood.
You may also want to watch:
“The woman next door showed me scorch marks on her floor.”
Power has been restored for most residents after safety checks but Mr Urwin still has no electricity.
- 1 More than £5m worth of stolen vehicles recovered in first Redbridge Action Week
- 2 Cost of damage runs into thousands as Clayhall street clears up after floods
- 3 'Uproar' at decision to fell protected oak tree in Hainault
- 4 Inquest: Newham driver died of 'misadventure' after Redbridge police chase
- 5 Ricardo Fuller death: Third man charged with murder
- 6 Woodford Green and Forest Gate residents criticise councils over flooding
- 7 Cycling access extended at Wanstead Park
- 8 Barts Trust ends major incident but situation 'critical' at Whipps Cross
- 9 Redbridge clean-up underway after flash floods close A&E and damage homes
- 10 Oxford student bids to improve top university access for state school pupils
He said: “I lost all the food in the freezer and I’ve been having cold baths.
“I’ve got a gas cooker so was heating pans of water up on the hob and pouring them in.
“I went to a hotel for a couple of days at the weekend just to have a hot shower and a good meal.”
Mr Urwin is using an extension cord from a neighbour’s flat to run vital appliances and is working with his letting agent to get reconnected.