Barkingside death: Arrested man remains in police custody
A man arrested after a teenage girl’s body was found in a Barkingside flat remains in police custody this evening.
The 21-year-old, who was arrested “in connection with the investigation”, is at an unnamed east London police station being questioned by detectives.
Despite efforts by London Ambulance Service paramedics to save the 17-year-old girl, she died in the flat in High Street at about 4pm on Tuesday.
Within two hours, forensics officers stepped inside the property above clothes store Buy Labels For Less, to carry out a fingertip examination of the scene.
The Metropolitan Police’s Homicide and Serious Crime Command is investigating.
You may also want to watch:
The results of a post-mortem which it is understood took place this afternoon have yet to be released.
A Met Police spokesman said their investigation into the death is “well under way”.
- 1 Maria Rawlings death: Man arrested on suspicion of murder
- 2 Chadwell Heath death: Barking man charged with murder of Maria Rawlings
- 3 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 4 New councillors for Loxford and Seven Kings react to by-election wins
- 5 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
- 6 Ilford care home turned into studio flats for rough sleepers
- 7 Cannabis and rambo knife sniffed out by police dog in Gants Hill bust
- 8 Murder probe launched after mother-of-two’s body found in Chadwell Heath
- 9 Plans for three year extension to scheme targeting people using prostitutes
- 10 'No stone will be left unturned' to find killer of Maria Jane Rawlings
She added officers were called to the flat shortly before 4pm to reports of a “disturbance at a residential address”.
Detectives placed a cordon along a section of pavement close to High Street’s junction with Fremantle Road and used the nearby Thomas Cook shop as a base.
Businesses in the area have been asked for their CCTV footage as officers look for clues.
Daniel Goodwin, who works in the area, said: “I saw three police cars and two ambulances. Then they closed off the road.
“You usually hear police sirens along here so I didn’t think it was anything major at first.”
He added: “It’s shocking for such a young person to die.”