Armed robber at large after holding up Wanstead bank with handgun
- Credit: Archant
An armed robber threatened a staff member with a handgun before making off with cash at a bank in Wanstead yesterday morning (Thursday, November 7).
Police were called to an armed robbery at the Nationwide Building Society in High Street, Wanstead, at 10am and detectives from the Flying Squad are investigating while the suspect is at large.
The Met Police issued the statement: "Officers attended and were informed that the male suspect had threatened a member of staff with a handgun before stealing a quantity of cash.
"There were no reported injuries and no arrests have been made so far."
Bob Blunden, who lives nearby witnessed the scene following the robbery and said: "The place was crawling with police."
You may also want to watch:
Enquires are ongoing and anyone with information is asked to call police via 101 quoting reference Cad 2215/07Nov or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
- 1 Ilford murder investigation launched after woman dies of injuries
- 2 First residents move in to new council homes in Hainault
- 3 Ilford Town only place in London with average house price below £250,000
- 4 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 5 More than a thousand attend Eid in the Field in Woodford Green
- 6 Wes Streeting MP reveals cancer diagnosis
- 7 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 8 Sam Tarry MP: 'My focus is on job creation in Ilford'
- 9 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 10 Redbridge equality group condemns 'heinous' Ilford mosque attack