Armed robber at large after holding up Wanstead bank with handgun
- Credit: Archant
An armed robber threatened a staff member with a handgun before making off with cash at a bank in Wanstead yesterday morning (Thursday, November 7).
Police were called to an armed robbery at the Nationwide Building Society in High Street, Wanstead, at 10am and detectives from the Flying Squad are investigating while the suspect is at large.
The Met Police issued the statement: "Officers attended and were informed that the male suspect had threatened a member of staff with a handgun before stealing a quantity of cash.
"There were no reported injuries and no arrests have been made so far."
Bob Blunden, who lives nearby witnessed the scene following the robbery and said: "The place was crawling with police."
You may also want to watch:
Enquires are ongoing and anyone with information is asked to call police via 101 quoting reference Cad 2215/07Nov or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
- 1 More than £5m worth of stolen vehicles recovered in first Redbridge Action Week
- 2 Cost of damage runs into thousands as Clayhall street clears up after floods
- 3 Ricardo Fuller death: Third man charged with murder
- 4 Olympian-trained South Woodford sprinter, 8, breaks record in Manchester
- 5 Litter in Redbridge parks quadruples in one year, council reveals
- 6 TV's Ben Shephard opens island themed playground at children’s hospice
- 7 Redbridge clean-up underway after flash floods close A&E and damage homes
- 8 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 9 Barkingside man arrested on suspicion of firearms offences
- 10 The Sikh Network on grieving in lockdown and death 'as a process of life'