‘Armed gang hotspot’ in Ilford has licence suspended after door staff ‘dump victim at takeaway’

The Ginger Sky restaurant and bar in Ilford

The Ginger Sky restaurant and bar in Ilford - Credit: Archant

A bar in Ilford High Road has had its licence suspended after a stabbing victim was removed from the building by door staff, in a bid to avoid detection

At The Ginger Sky Caribbean Restaurant and Bar, police say that instead of offering first-aid to the victim, who was stabbed twice in the chest, he was dumped in a nearby takeaway.

Council licensing bosses, police and representatives of Ginger Sky, which is opposite Ilford police station, met on Friday to discuss the venue’s future, and ultimately decided the premises could not remain open while such serious concerns about customer and community safety remained unaddressed.

In a police report, officers describe a “large brawl” between several attendees which door staff, in spite of having pit-bull style dogs, failed to control.

Gangs armed with firearms are known to frequent the venue, the report adds.

Officers had been called to Ginger Sky on December 23 after reports of a disturbance but couldn’t find anything.

Around 10 minutes later, police received a call to attend Ali Curry House, High Road, Ilford, just three doors along from the bar.

Most Read

Officers attended to find “a male sitting slumped in a chair; he was surrounded by other people. Officers could see there were tissues on the floor covered in blood.”

It adds: “There was no after care for the stabbed male and he was escorted off the premises by door staff on the instruction of management to a nearby restaurant and he was left there with no concern for his welfare.”

The victim told officers that he had been drinking all evening at Ginger Sky,

In a review of CCTV from the night, officers say open drug use can be seen with males rolling spliffs on the dance floor.

Although there were many people at the venue, officers couldn’t find any witnesses.

Initial requests for CCTV were not complied with and the footage provided could not be played.

Only once the hard drives were produced on January 23, one month after the incident, could the footage be viewed.

The report adds: “The venue has been obstructive and reluctant to hand over CCTV and has been obstructive to officers attending to conduct licensing visits.”

Police say they “have no faith that management will adhere to any voluntary closure, having already indicated that they intend to sell the premises.”