Barkingside axe attack: Man arrested on suspicion of attempted murder, police appeal for witnesses
- Credit: Google
A woman in her 50s is in a critical condition after being attacked with an axe inside a Barkingside home.
Police were called by the London Ambulance Service to a report of a woman attacked with an axe inside a residential address in Princes Road shortly after 2pm on Friday, April 9.
A spokesperson for the Met Police said: "A number of suspects are believed to have left the address prior to the arrival of police.
"A crime scene remains in place and urgent enquiries are ongoing to establish the circumstances.
"Detectives are appealing for any witnesses, or anyone with dashcam footage from Princes Road and the surrounding area on Friday afternoon, to call police on 101 quoting reference 3935/09Apr.
You may also want to watch:
"To remain anonymous, please contact Crimestoppers."
The victim was treated at the scene before being taken to hospital, where she remains in a critical condition.
- 1 Maria Rawlings death: Man arrested on suspicion of murder
- 2 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 3 Chadwell Heath death: Barking man charged with murder of Maria Rawlings
- 4 New councillors for Loxford and Seven Kings react to by-election wins
- 5 Murder probe launched after mother-of-two’s body found in Chadwell Heath
- 6 Plans for three year extension to scheme targeting people using prostitutes
- 7 'No stone will be left unturned' to find killer of Maria Jane Rawlings
- 8 Man wanted in connection with dangerous driving incident in Newbury Park
- 9 Police car flips over in Chadwell Heath collision
- 10 Woman's body found in Chadwell Heath
A 47-year-old man was arrested at the scene on suspicion of attempted murder and he remains in custody.
At this early stage, police believe the incident is primarily domestic in nature - the woman and man arrested are known to each other.
A London Ambulance Service spokesperson said: "We were called at 2:01pm on Friday, April 9 to reports of an incident on Princes Road, Ilford.
"We sent an ambulance crew, an incident response officer and two medics in cars. We also dispatched London's Air Ambulance.
"We treated a person at the scene and took them to a major trauma centre."