Appeal for witnesses after man hurled abuse at train passengers between Stratford and Redbridge stations
Police are hunting a man who hurled a tirade of abuse at a number of passengers on a Tube train running between Stratford and Redbridge stations.
The man was onboard a Central line train on New Year’s Eve at around 2.45pm when the abuse began.
Investigating officer Det Con Martin Wilson said: “A female passenger was on the train travelling between Stratford and Redbridge London Underground stations.
“During the journey she witnessed a man assault a male passenger and verbally abuse a female passenger.
“The woman intervened and was also subjected to a tirade of abuse and threatening behaviour by the man. He was removed by police at Redbridge station.”
Mr Wilson added: “Inquiries are ongoing to establish the full circumstances surrounding the incident and, at this stage, I am appealing for anyone who was on board the train at the time to come forward with information about what they saw.”
The Stratford to Redbridge stretch of the Central line runs through Leyton, Leytonstone and Wanstead stations.
- 1 Two people arrested following Ilford drugs lab bust
- 2 RideLondon 2022: East and central London roads among 100 miles of closures
- 3 Revealed: Your favourite fish and chip shop in east London
- 4 Five jailed after 'cold blooded' murder of Enfield father
- 5 Boy, 2, injured after 'dog attack' at funfair
- 6 Labour wins Mayfield seats in delayed election
- 7 Maskless passengers on London trains and buses fined 4,000 times
- 8 Girl, 17, held on suspicion of terrorism offences after east London arrest
- 9 Ilford man has van crushed, given curfew for Barking and Dagenham fly-tips
- 10 Covid: Weekly admissions halve as patient counts drop to July 2021 levels
Anyone with information should contact British Transport Police on 0800 405 040, or text 61016, quoting reference LUA/B10 of 01/01/14, or to remain anonymous call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
A 26-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of committing a public order offence and has been bailed until February 12 pending further inquiries.