Anti-knife crime campaign steps up in Ilford for school holidays
An anti-knife crime campaigner from Seven Kings is trying to “make young people think” ahead of the school holidays.
Danny O’Brien, 46, has been working with communities across London to stop young people carrying weapons since the tragic death of 16-year-old Holloway School student Ben Kinsella in 2008.
Now he is offering free posters to schools and businesses across Redbridge to make young people “think again” about knives.
Danny said: “In the school holidays you’ve got six weeks of kids getting bored.
“Do parents know what their kids get up to? Do they know how many knives they have in the kitchen?
You may also want to watch:
“Ilford is quite safe but if you look at the last couple of years there have been a few incidents.”
Last August a 17-year-old boy died after being stabbed at a party in Ilford High Road.
- 1 Ilford Exchange Debenhams to permanently close
- 2 Funeral service for 'giant of Aldborough Hatch' Ron Jeffries to be streamed on Facebook
- 3 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 4 Charge! New fleet of electric vehicles for Redbridge Council
- 5 Spiritual Life: What next for the great Hindu temples of Redbridge?
- 6 Restaurant faces losing licence after allegations of illegal club nights during pandemic
- 7 Chigwell school puts pupils' baking skills to the test
- 8 'Scrapping Universal Credit uplift will lead to poverty', MP says
- 9 Residents furious after car park and lift flooded since before Christmas
- 10 Queen's and King George hospitals appeal for volunteers to support end of life patients
Danny hopes that displaying the posters will influence the way teenagers think about knives.
He said: “People think that if you stab someone they will just get up and be fine.
“They need to realise knives are a weapon and carrying them is not cool.”
One poster shows a baby holding a blade with the slogan “you were not born with a knife in your hand” while another warns “carry a knife and we’ll give you some time to think about it,” showing a man in prison.
Posters are free with �3 for postage. Tweet @sayingno2knives or call 07427261818 to order.