Amber weather warning issued for thunderstorms and heavy rain across London
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Thunderstorms, heavy rain and flash flooding is expected to bring travel disruption across London today (Monday, October 14).
The amber weather warning is in place from 4pm-9pm and the Met Office has warned that spray and sudden flooding may lead to difficult driving conditions and some road closures.
Delays and cancellations to train and bus services are likely and power to some homes and businesses could be lost.
Flooding of homes and businesses is likely and could happen quickly, with damage to some buildings from floodwater, lightning strikes, hail or strong winds.
"An area of thunderstorms across northern France is expected to move across parts of southeast England during this evening's main travel period," a Met Office spokesman said.
You may also want to watch:
"The main hazard is likely to be heavy rain with 30-40mm likely in 1-2 hours which may lead to flash flooding.
"Lightning, hail and gusty winds are also expected which may cause power cuts and travel disruption."
- 1 Police appeal to find girl, 12, last seen in Wanstead Park
- 2 Primary schools in Redbridge rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 3 Seven Kings man charged in connection with alleged sex assault on boy
- 4 East London road and rail disruptions to travel this weekend
- 5 Man charged with Ilford robbery
- 6 Walk-in Covid vaccinations on offer at Valentines Park health fair
- 7 Goodmayes racer Alex Lynn and title leader Sam Bird preview London E-Prix
- 8 Dispersal order issued ahead of fears over ‘illegal music events’
- 9 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
- 10 Ilford mother 'could have been saved' and NHS 'failed' her, family tells inquest