Amber weather warning issued for thunderstorms and heavy rain across London
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Thunderstorms, heavy rain and flash flooding is expected to bring travel disruption across London today (Monday, October 14).
The amber weather warning is in place from 4pm-9pm and the Met Office has warned that spray and sudden flooding may lead to difficult driving conditions and some road closures.
Delays and cancellations to train and bus services are likely and power to some homes and businesses could be lost.
Flooding of homes and businesses is likely and could happen quickly, with damage to some buildings from floodwater, lightning strikes, hail or strong winds.
"An area of thunderstorms across northern France is expected to move across parts of southeast England during this evening's main travel period," a Met Office spokesman said.
You may also want to watch:
"The main hazard is likely to be heavy rain with 30-40mm likely in 1-2 hours which may lead to flash flooding.
"Lightning, hail and gusty winds are also expected which may cause power cuts and travel disruption."
- 1 95pc of children get place at first or second choice primary school
- 2 Have you seen Chantel, 15, missing from Ilford?
- 3 Fire damages Ilford flats
- 4 Two men assaulted with pole after car driven into them
- 5 Ricardo Fuller death: Man charged with murder
- 6 Tributes to police officer killed in Ilford on 26th anniversary of death
- 7 Pedestrian suffers 'life-threatening head injury' in Redbridge collision
- 8 Two men arrested after kidnapping in broad daylight in South Woodford
- 9 Fairlop Waters, numbers, NHS and child exploitation
- 10 Hainault teen lands coveted slot on dance touring company