Amber weather warning issued for thunderstorms and heavy rain across London
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Thunderstorms, heavy rain and flash flooding is expected to bring travel disruption across London today (Monday, October 14).
The amber weather warning is in place from 4pm-9pm and the Met Office has warned that spray and sudden flooding may lead to difficult driving conditions and some road closures.
Delays and cancellations to train and bus services are likely and power to some homes and businesses could be lost.
Flooding of homes and businesses is likely and could happen quickly, with damage to some buildings from floodwater, lightning strikes, hail or strong winds.
"An area of thunderstorms across northern France is expected to move across parts of southeast England during this evening's main travel period," a Met Office spokesman said.
You may also want to watch:
"The main hazard is likely to be heavy rain with 30-40mm likely in 1-2 hours which may lead to flash flooding.
"Lightning, hail and gusty winds are also expected which may cause power cuts and travel disruption."
- 1 Ilford man raises awareness of 'life-saving' gadget after dad's death
- 2 Ilford Exchange Debenhams to permanently close
- 3 Woman had phone stolen at knife-point in Woodford Green
- 4 Funeral service for 'giant of Aldborough Hatch' Ron Jeffries to be streamed on Facebook
- 5 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 6 'Help people find moments of beauty within the trauma': BHRUT chaplain supports staff during pandemic
- 7 Restaurant faces losing licence after allegations of illegal club nights during pandemic
- 8 Restaurant stripped of its alcohol licence
- 9 Chigwell school puts pupils' baking skills to the test
- 10 Charge! New fleet of electric vehicles for Redbridge Council