Amber weather warning issued for thunderstorms and heavy rain across London
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Thunderstorms, heavy rain and flash flooding is expected to bring travel disruption across London today (Monday, October 14).
The amber weather warning is in place from 4pm-9pm and the Met Office has warned that spray and sudden flooding may lead to difficult driving conditions and some road closures.
Delays and cancellations to train and bus services are likely and power to some homes and businesses could be lost.
Flooding of homes and businesses is likely and could happen quickly, with damage to some buildings from floodwater, lightning strikes, hail or strong winds.
"An area of thunderstorms across northern France is expected to move across parts of southeast England during this evening's main travel period," a Met Office spokesman said.
You may also want to watch:
"The main hazard is likely to be heavy rain with 30-40mm likely in 1-2 hours which may lead to flash flooding.
"Lightning, hail and gusty winds are also expected which may cause power cuts and travel disruption."
- 1 Restaurant apologises after allegations of verbal abuse between staff
- 2 Thirteen-year-old boy stabbed in Ilford
- 3 'Cheating surge': Dating site reveals how many people are having affairs in your area
- 4 Co-living development green-lit by council despite 'rabbit hutch' rooms
- 5 Vulnerable woman dies burning charcoal for warmth after gas and electricity are cut off
- 6 Young Citizen nominee: Esha, 4, who inspired thousands to join bone marrow donor list
- 7 Seven Kings School celebrates 90th birthday with fair
- 8 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 9 Nine Redbridge parks retain Green Flag Award status
- 10 Met Office warns of flooding risk with heavy rain set to hit London