Woodford Bridge stabbing: Police chief appeals to young people to stop carrying knives
PUBLISHED: 15:53 12 January 2016 | UPDATED: 15:53 12 January 2016
Redbridge Police’s borough commander has urged young people to stop carrying knives after a 16-year-old boy was stabbed to death on Saturday night.
The teenager Munashe Charles Kutyauripo, known as Charlie, had been celebrating a girl’s 16th birthday with around 100 other young people at a social club in Ashton Playing Fields, Chigwell Road.
He got into a confrontation with four young men outside the club before one stabbed him, police said.
Friends tried to save him before police and paramedics arrived at around 9.40pm, but he died just over an hour later at Whipps Cross University Hospital.
Forensics officers recovered two knives from near the scene on Sunday, one a silver kitchen knife and the other a black-handled knife, but it is not yet clear whether either was involved in the stabbing.
Redbridge borough commander Det Ch Supt Sue Williams said: “The Metropolitan Police Service has seen an increase in knife crime and this is true for Redbridge.”
She explained officers in the borough were exploring ways to prevent this type of offending.
“Violent crime brings misery to everyone involved,” she said.
“It destroys lives, not only those who lose their lives and the impact on their loved ones, but it impacts those who end up in prison and those who are involved on the periphery, watching, listening and egging on.
“It affects whole communities.”
The borough commander encouraged residents with concerns about family members’ or friends’ involvement with knives to contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
She added: “This has been a terrible way to start the New Year and our thoughts are with the young man’s family and friends.”
Charlie, from Collier Row, Havering, had previously studied at King Solomon High School in Barkingside.
Investigating police renewed their appeal for information about the murder today.
Det Chief Insp Mark Lawson said: “We are still appealing for witnesses and anyone with information to come forward.
“We are really keen to speak to everyone who was at the party that night, we know there were around 100 young people there.
“Many have already come forward but we need to gather all information, no matter how small, in order to piece together the events of that evening.”
No arrests have been made and the murder is being investigated by detectives from the Homicide and Major Crime Command.
A post-mortem examination yesterday found the cause of death as stab wound to the chest.
Anyone who can help is asked to contact the incident room on 020 8358 0200 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.