Search

Trial of Ilford man accused of attempted murder adjourned

PUBLISHED: 07:00 19 October 2015 | UPDATED: 12:48 19 October 2015

Snaresbrook Crown Court Pic: John Stillwell/PA

Snaresbrook Crown Court Pic: John Stillwell/PA

PA Archive/Press Association Images

A trial due to start this morning was adjourned after doctors failed to agree whether the defendant was “legally insane”.

The court is due to reconvene on Thursday after Robin Kardam, 44, of Kensington Gardens, Ilford, was charged with attempted murder last year.

Mr Kardam, accused of stabbing Sophia Burley, an Ilford Lane outreach worker, on November 25, appeared at Snaresbrook Crown Court this morning with hospital staff before Judge Simon Wilkinson adjourned the trial.

Danny Robinson, prosecuting, said that the doctors assessing Mr Kardam were not able to agree on his mental state.

“In these circumstances, a meeting of the experts seems to me absolutely desirable – to see if a measure of agreement can be met,” he said.

“That has not taken place so far. We thought it may be appropriate for the experts talk over the telephone but that was not appropriate.

“We at the bar are keen that they should meet as soon as possible, and if possible to present an agreed approach at this trial.

“Really your honour, at this stage what I am asking is that the court considers the experts to meet before we embark on evidence.”

Judge Wilkinson, who said it was “vital” for the experts to meet, agreed to move the trial to Thursday.

Mr Kardam denies the charge.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Ilford Recorder