Redbridge mayor calls for action after ‘tragic’ Clayhall shooting
PUBLISHED: 10:00 01 September 2016
A 22-year-old man is in hospital after a shooting in Clayhall, on Saturday night.
Police were called to reports of shots being fired at around 10pm in Tiptree Crescent, but no victim could be found.
But shortly afterwards officers were called to an east London hospital, where a man had been admitted with injuries consistent with being shot.
His injuries are not life-threatening and he remains in hospital. The police confirmed they are treating the two cases as linked.
A worried resident on the estate said he believed more could be done to make life safer for the people living there.
He said: “To improve security there needs to be more policing. Just having a presence will make a difference – cameras placed all around the estate, not just in the entry and exit points.
“It’s been going on for years. In terms of what needs changing, I’d say security measures, patrolling of the area, and targeting gang leaders.”
The incident comes just 22 days after a child and a 22-year-old man were injured in a shooting at Loxford Park, in Loxford Lane, Ilford.
Redbridge Mayor Cllr Gurdial Bhamra, who is a retired police officer, was upset to learn of a second shooting in the borough in such a short space of time.
He said; “With regards to this incident, one can’t really comment until the full facts have been disclosed, but what we can say is that it is always tragic when a young man is hurt like this.
“When viewed with the incident in Loxford earlier this month, if it is part of a trend then that is something the police and the local authority will have to look at very closely and that we will need to make sure we deal with.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.