Search

Redbridge Conservatives’ leader shows support for filming burglary hotspots

PUBLISHED: 17:36 23 September 2015 | UPDATED: 17:36 23 September 2015

A body-worn video (BMV) camera, which was trialled by the Metropolitan Police earlier this year. Redbridge Police could use cameras like these to film burglary suspects. Photo: Yui Mok/PA Archive/PA Images

A body-worn video (BMV) camera, which was trialled by the Metropolitan Police earlier this year. Redbridge Police could use cameras like these to film burglary suspects. Photo: Yui Mok/PA Archive/PA Images

PA Archive/PA Images

A move to film burglary suspects and hotspots has been welcomed as “a step in the right direction”.

Bridge Ward’s Cllr Paul Canal says “it should have been done sooner” after Redbridge Police announced it would be overtly filming in the borough this week, acting as a deterrent.

The Conservative group leader, who has had “major issues” with burglaries in his ward, says homeowners also need to make their houses more secure.

Cllr Canal said: “I think it’s a superb idea and I don’t think privacy should be an issue. If I can compromise my privacy to catch burglars then so be it.

“In Woodford Green, burglary has been an issue because we have homes backing on to fields. We have a massive issue with the police not always coming out to deal with it too.”

In the past 12 months burglary was the second most common crime in Redbridge, with 2,443 recorded incidents, after violence against the person.

“The terrible thing is, once someone has broken into your house you don’t feel safe – it’s a violation – it should be your castle, a place where you feel safe,” said Cllr Canal.

A Recorder poll of 36 readers found that 86 per cent did not mind being filmed to help catch burglars – 14pc thought it was an invasion of their privacy.

Kaljit Gill, 63, of Springfield Drive, Newbury Park, who has been burgled twice in the past seven years, said she thought filming would not help.

“I think I will still be a target of burglary – I’m scared,” she said. “I don’t think it’s going to help – police should do more patrols instead, not film.”

Sgt Matt Taylor, of the Proactive Task Force, said: “Burglary will not be tolerated. It is a very invasive, personal crime that can have long-lasting emotional effects on victims.

“Officers will be using this tactic to prevent burglary and disrupt any criminal activity found to be taking place. Filming will enable us to identify offences and capture evidence and act as a deterrent.”

The filming will stop at 3.20pm on October 17. A police spokeswoman said anyone who is filmed will be given a notice to explain the process.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Ilford Recorder