Man accused of part in Redbridge sex ring facing November retrial
PUBLISHED: 15:18 06 August 2013 | UPDATED: 15:58 06 August 2013
A man accused of being part of a sex ring operating across Redbridge and Barking is facing a retrial in November.
Last month, a jury at Snaresbrook Crown Court failed to reach a verdict on claims that Anas Iqbal, of Newham Way, East Ham, raped one girl and and tried to rape another.
The 25-year-old denies both charges and was aquitted of four other counts of rape and paying for the sexual services of a child.
The Crown Prosecution Service said he has been remanded in custody until his retrial at Snaresbrook Crown Court on November 5.
Fellow defendants Naeem Ahmed, of Westminster Gardens, Barking, Nabeel Ahmed, of Chadwell Heath Lane, Chadwell Heath, and Hassan Raza, also of Westminster Gardens, Barking, were found guilty of attacking a teenage girl.
The girl, who was 18 at the time, told the court Nabeel, offered her a lift after seeing her fighting with a friend in Chadwell Heath.
He took her to a house where she met Naeem and Raza. In recorded video evidence played in court, she told how Naeem, 25, and Nabeel came into the bedroom they had given her for the night and got into her bed.
She was then raped by Naeem, then Nabeel, then Naeem again. In the morning, Raza appeared to offer sympathy to the girl before attempting to molest her.
Naeem and Nabeel, who are not related, were found guilty of rape and Raza was found guilty of sexual assault.
The trio will be sentenced on September 11.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.