Ilford terror suspect ‘breached order keeping track of his movements’, court is told
PUBLISHED: 13:28 08 October 2012 | UPDATED: 13:49 08 October 2012
A terror suspect breached an order made to help authorities keep track of his movements within days of it being imposed, a court has heard today.
The 40-year-old, who can be referred to only as ST, claims he simply forgot he had to report daily to his local police station.
The father-of-three, of Ilford, is also accused of failing to notify the firm responsible for tracking his movements when he left his house.
ST is the first person to face trial for flouting a Terrorism Protection and Investigation Measure (TPIM), the successor to the controversial control order regime.
He was subject to a control order from May 2009 and was handed a TPIM when the old system came to an end in January this year.
He is on trial at the Old Bailey, accused of two breaches of the order.
The first is said to have taken place on January 16, when he failed to notify staff at Serco he was leaving his home.
Jurors were told he had a special telephone installed to provide a direct line to the firm’s monitoring centre.
The second breach allegedly took place on January 27, when he failed to report to Ilford Police Station, as he is required to do daily between 11am and noon.
ST gave no comment when he was arrested and questioned by police over the allegedly breaches, said prosecutor Sarah Whitehouse.
But in a prepared statement, he claimed he had forgotten about his obligations.
Jurors have been told they will have to decide whether this amounts to a reasonable excuse.
Ms Whitehouse said: “It is not a reasonable excuse where your forgetting may lead to very serious consequences.”
ST, who has previously lived in Bristol, denies two counts of contravening a TPIM.
The trial continues.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.