Goodmayes man jailed for supplying crack cocaine
PUBLISHED: 22:34 17 August 2018 | UPDATED: 22:34 17 August 2018
PA/Press Association Images
A man from Goodmayes is one of sixteen men jailed for drug supply offences in Tower Hamlets.
Rashiq Uddin, 26 of Hazledene Road was sentenced today (Friday, August 17) to three years and one months’ imprisonment after pleading guilty on July 5 to supplying crack cocaine.
The group of men were sentenced at Snaresbrook Crown Court to a combined total of 49 years behind bars after a four-month covert surveillance operation to tackle the supply of drugs, violence and anti-social behaviour in the Whitechapel area.
More than 300 officers were involved in the raids, led by Tower Hamlets officers, with additional support from the Territorial Support Group (TSG), surrounding boroughs and the Met’s Dog Unit.
During searches of more than 50 addresses, officers seized more than £60,000 in cash, over half a kilo of Class A drugs and four stun-guns.
This operation known as Continuum was a partnership operation between police, Tower Hamlets Council and local housing associations.
A total of 49 individuals have been charged in connection with the investigation, and during the past two months, 32 men and three male youths have pleaded guilty to over 70 drug offences.
An additional 10 individuals arrested in connection with the investigation have been released on bail and a male arrested today remains in custody.
Det Ch Insp Mike Hamer, Tower Hamlets crime, gangs and drugs lead, said he was very pleased with the sentencing.
“Removing these men from our streets is an incredible result for the local community and London as a whole,” he said.
“They were all linked to the supply of crack cocaine and heroin and putting them in jail will severely disrupt the supply of drugs in the area.
“Operation Continuum responds to significant community concerns by targeting drug dealers, as well as providing addiction support for drug users. By tackling drug dealing in the area we can continue to have a positive and long-term impact on related crimes such as violent crime and anti-social behaviour.”
The chief inspector said the continued support of residents was essential to achieve these results and he would like to thank members of the community for providing support.
“I hope these sentences demonstrate that our actions, in conjunction with Tower Hamlets Council, show we continuously act on their concerns,” he added.
“We will continue to dismantle crime, prosecute those people who defy the law and safeguard our community. There is more good news to come, as a large number of other males await sentencing or trial.”
John Biggs, Tower Hamlets mayor, said it was a great result.
“Residents have told us that anti-social behaviour and crime associated with drugs is one of their biggest concerns, and our work with the police is tackling this head-on.
“Our joint message to drug dealers is clear – we will push for the strongest penalties for those who peddle drugs.
“We will also continue to support those who are victims of drug dealing. We have some of the best services in London to support people with substance misuse issues and we will continue to do all we can to help them turn their lives around.”
A further 14 men who pleaded guilty last month are due to appear at Snaresbrook Crown Court on Thursday, August 23 for sentencing.
Eleven men pleaded not guilty to drug offences and have been remanded in custody to appear for trial later in the year.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.