Girl raped in Ilford park faces a ‘life sentence’, says charity chief
PUBLISHED: 15:15 01 June 2013
A 16-year-old girl raped in broad daylight in an Ilford park will suffer “a life sentence” compared to the five years in jail her attacker was given this week, a charity chief said.
The young victim was first introduced to Antroy Ford, 22, through a friend after he said he wanted to meet an “innocent church-going girl”.
After texting and emailing the teenager, he persuaded her to meet him in Romford to go to a music festival on September 10, 2011.
But after repeatedly trying to kiss her on the bus to Valentines Park, Cranbrook Road, he led her to a secluded part of the park and forced her to have sex with him.
Jodie Woodward, head of operations at East London Rape Crisis Service, said: “This verdict is a positive one. If any reported rape results in a custodial sentence it is a good thing, as only seven per cent of those reported results in a sentence.
“And only 18 per cent in a trial.
“However, five years is very minimal when you think of the life sentence that the victim has been given. That sentence does not take into account what she will go through.”
Snaresbrook Crown Court heard that the 16-year-old tried to kill herself when she returned home after he had ordered her to carry out sexual acts on him, before forcing himself on her despite her protests.
Ms Woodward added: “This case was premeditated and the attack appears to have been sustained, therefore the sentence seems to be at the lower end of the guidelines.
“If she had been under 16, then it would have been heavier, but she is still at a very vulnerable age.”
Ford, of Battersea was found guilty of rape after a trial last month.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.