Crews from Woodford Green tackle fire at Walthamstow wedding venue
Firefighters from Woodford Green spent four hours tackling a fire at an Asian wedding and banqueting venue this morning, which has been left “severely damaged”.
Ten fire engines and around 72 officers attended the fire at The Pavillion, in Hoe Street, Walthamstow, at around 1am.
Half of the first floor and most of the roof were alight when firefighters arrived.
Station manager, Clive Robinson, who is at the scene said: “The fire has severely damaged the two storey banqueting hall. “Firefighters have managed to stop the fire from spreading to surrounding buildings. Around 50 people from neighbouring houses have been evacuated as a precaution.”
Fire crews from Chingford, Walthamstow, Stratford, Homerton, Leyton, Leytonstone and Tottenham fire stations were also sent to the scene.
You may also want to watch:
The cause of the fire is not known at this stage.
- 1 Two men arrested after kidnapping in broad daylight in South Woodford
- 2 Man charged with murder after elderly woman found dead in bathtub in Clayhall home
- 3 Two men arrested in Chigwell on suspicion of kidnap
- 4 Ilford business owners adjust to new world on reopening
- 5 Barkingside axe attack: Man arrested on suspicion of attempted murder, police appeal for witnesses
- 6 Attempted murder arrest after woman seriously injured in Barkingside
- 7 Physical and mental health long-Covid rehab programme launches in Ilford
- 8 Temporary post office to open in South Woodford
- 9 Redbridge leisure centres reopen after latest easing of restrictions
- 10 BHRUT in capsule trial for detecting colorectal cancer