Crews from Woodford Green tackle fire at Walthamstow wedding venue
Firefighters from Woodford Green spent four hours tackling a fire at an Asian wedding and banqueting venue this morning, which has been left “severely damaged”.
Ten fire engines and around 72 officers attended the fire at The Pavillion, in Hoe Street, Walthamstow, at around 1am.
Half of the first floor and most of the roof were alight when firefighters arrived.
Station manager, Clive Robinson, who is at the scene said: “The fire has severely damaged the two storey banqueting hall. “Firefighters have managed to stop the fire from spreading to surrounding buildings. Around 50 people from neighbouring houses have been evacuated as a precaution.”
Fire crews from Chingford, Walthamstow, Stratford, Homerton, Leyton, Leytonstone and Tottenham fire stations were also sent to the scene.
You may also want to watch:
The cause of the fire is not known at this stage.
- 1 Eatery 'at risk of closure' as scammers exploit Just Eat loophole
- 2 Seven Kings barbers closes after 62 years in business
- 3 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 4 'It's a surreal feeling': New coffee shop opens in Redbridge
- 5 Ilford grandfather to run 37th London Marathon months after Covid battle
- 6 Council to approve children's performances after monkey costume scandal
- 7 'Grab this chance to save her life': Wanstead woman battling chronic illness urgently needs £200k for surgeries
- 8 DJ's fundraising bid to help twin return home after months in hospital
- 9 Coffee fanatics to open 'lively' new coffee shop in Redbridge
- 10 'Last of a dying breed': Ilford pub scoops readers' vote honour