Creator of online comic strip publishes special print version for Art Trail Wanstead
- Credit: Archant
A self-confessed doodler who set herself the challenge of producing an online comic strip every week for a year is publishing a special print version to mark an annual community event.
Sam Cowan has been flexing her creative muscles on Cartoons 4 Trees since January, a fundraising project designed to combine her love of comics and the environment.
And now she has created a print comic strip to mark Art Trail Wanstead, which begins on Saturday.
Sam, from Redbridge, said: “I went to an art trail in Walthamstow and was absolutely amazed. So when I saw Wanstead was doing one I really wanted to get involved.
“I wasn’t sure if I would exhibit, but I went along to the meeting and it was agreed that I would do the comic and a mural outside Wanstead [underground] station.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s quite exciting!”
Sam’s comic will be based on the concept “Make Art Not War,” which is the optional theme of the trail.
- 1 Childhood sweethearts to open 'Brick Lane-style' deli in Barkingside
- 2 Ex-council staff who was sacked after bailiffs turned up at his work loses unfair dismissal claim
- 3 'Like prisoners in our home': Parents of attacked 13-year-old speak out
- 4 Walk It Out founder launches women's boxing classes
- 5 Thirteen-year-old boy attacked in Ilford
- 6 Restaurant apologises after allegations of verbal abuse between staff
- 7 Covid patient numbers rebound at Barts Health hospitals
- 8 Vulnerable woman dies burning charcoal for warmth after gas and electricity are cut off
- 9 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 10 New boats arrive at Fairlop Waters amid country park investment plan
The freelancer, who takes on work such as editing and painting murals, launched Cartoons 4 Trees after being inspired by a short course on comics which she took last autumn.
So far, the scheme has given fruit tree saplings to families in some of the world’s poorest countries, planted fruit trees in schools and communal spaces in Kibuye, Rwanda, and supported the Plant a Billion Trees initiative in the Amazon rainforest.
Each comic subscription funds the planting of one new tree.
Sam said: “I have really enjoyed doing this, so I will have to find a way to carry on with comics.
“I’d love commissions next year to do this commercially.”
The print comic will be on sale at The Art Shop, in High Street, Wanstead, for a minimum of £1 from September 6 to 21.
To subscribe to the online comics, visit cartoons4trees.weebly.com.