Fire breaks out at Gants Hill hostel from candle left unattended in shrine
- Credit: Archant
Four fire engines and 25 firefighters tackled a fire at a hostel in Gants Hill caused by a candle left unattended in a shrine.
Around 30 people had already evacuated the building in Cranbrook Road before firefighters arrived yesterday (Monday, August, 26).
Crews from Ilford, Hainault and Woodford Green fire stations were called at 8.49pm and the fire was under control by 9.46pm.
Part of the second floor of the building was damaged in the blaze.
A spokesman for the London Fire Brigade said: "The fire is believed to be caused a candle in a shine left unattended.
You may also want to watch:
"Candles are one of the most common causes of fire.
"It's really important that you never leave a candle unattended and keep them away from curtains and anything else that can easily catch fire."
- 1 Safeguarding concerns at 'outstanding' Atam Academy in Chadwell Heath
- 2 Have you seen this 52-year-old man missing from Ilford?
- 3 Derelict pavilion in Goodmayes Park destroyed by fire
- 4 Growing public support for tougher pet theft sentences
- 5 Police and council join forces to help raise Covid awareness
- 6 Council must pay £4,500 for failing disabled brothers
- 7 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 8 Royal Mail lists six Redbridge postcodes hit by Covid postal delays
- 9 CCTV still issued of man sought in 'vicious and unprovoked' attack in broad daylight in Barkingside supermarket
- 10 Welcome to Chadwell Heath Spartans, a true family football club