Cranbrook Road, Barkingside, reopened after car being chased by police hits wall

PUBLISHED: 09:11 26 September 2013 | UPDATED: 09:35 26 September 2013

The wreckage after the crash in Cranbrook Road. Photo: Thomas McEveney

The wreckage after the crash in Cranbrook Road. Photo: Thomas McEveney


Cranbrook Road has reopened after being shut since the early hours because of a crash following a police chase.

Three people were taken to hospital after the accident near the junction with Bute Road at around 2.15am.

A Metropolitan Police spokesman said: “A vehicle being pursued by police was in a collision with a brick wall.”

The driver has been arrested on suspicion of dangerous driving, possession of drugs and drink driving.

Fire crews from Ilford and Hainault had to cut the injured driver and passengers out of the vehicle.

Hainault watch manager Tom Edwards described the crash as “nasty”.

He said: “A car on its own had hit a garden wall and seriously injured the driver and two passengers.

“We had to cut them out.”

Three ambulances, a single responder, a duty officer and paramedics from the London Air Ambulance were sent to the scene.

A London Ambulance Spokesman said a 20-year-old man with chest injuries, a 22-year-old man with shoulder, neck and knee pain and another patient with leg injuries were taken to the Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel.

The road was cordoned off after the accident and bus routes 128, 150, 167 and N8 were put on diversion.

More soon...

Did you see the crash? Call 0208 477 3821 or email

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Ilford Recorder