Crackdown on ‘unscrupulous’ landlords renting out beds in sheds in Ilford
“Unscrupulous” landlords renting out “beds in sheds” are being targeted in a council crackdown which just received more than £100,000 in funding.
The council received £108,000 from the government to stop the proliferation of illegal and unsuitable accommodation.
It is one of four councils around the country to be given the funding.
Beds in sheds refers to any temporary building such as a garage or shed which is then illegally rented out.
Cllr Michelle Dunn, cabinet member for housing, said: “We welcome this extra funding and are determined to crackdown on unscrupulous landlords who believe they can make easy money from renting out illegal and unsafe places to house vulnerable residents.”
You may also want to watch:
She said that the extra money will be used for extra enforcement officers around the borough.
“Rogue landlords who flout the law and place tenants’ lives at risk will not be tolerated and we will continue to take tough action,” she added.
- 1 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 2 Former Homebase development plans approved
- 3 Redbridge issued more than 2,800 Blue Badge fines in 2020, data shows
- 4 'Uproar' at decision to fell protected oak tree in Hainault
- 5 More than £5m worth of stolen vehicles recovered in first Redbridge Action Week
- 6 Water company apologises for phone line waits as flood response branded 'woefully inadequate'
- 7 Woodford Green and Forest Gate residents criticise councils over flooding
- 8 Ricardo Fuller death: Third man charged with murder
- 9 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 10 BHRUT doctors taking on triathlon in memory of colleague’s daughter
If you have any concerns about unsuitable accommodation being rented out call Redbridge Council on 020 8554 5000.