Crackdown on ‘unscrupulous’ landlords renting out beds in sheds in Ilford
“Unscrupulous” landlords renting out “beds in sheds” are being targeted in a council crackdown which just received more than £100,000 in funding.
The council received £108,000 from the government to stop the proliferation of illegal and unsuitable accommodation.
It is one of four councils around the country to be given the funding.
Beds in sheds refers to any temporary building such as a garage or shed which is then illegally rented out.
Cllr Michelle Dunn, cabinet member for housing, said: “We welcome this extra funding and are determined to crackdown on unscrupulous landlords who believe they can make easy money from renting out illegal and unsafe places to house vulnerable residents.”
You may also want to watch:
She said that the extra money will be used for extra enforcement officers around the borough.
“Rogue landlords who flout the law and place tenants’ lives at risk will not be tolerated and we will continue to take tough action,” she added.
- 1 Driver dies after Ilford shopfront crash
- 2 Medics treat six people after three-car crash in Ilford
- 3 Man dies after fall near Hainault station
- 4 Fireaway pizza branch to open in South Woodford
- 5 Driver in critical condition after Ilford shop crash
- 6 Covid cases drop at Queen’s and King George hospitals
- 7 Chigwell child sex offender who posed as teen online jailed
- 8 Man rushed to hospital after being robbed and stabbed in Ilford
- 9 Three new items Redbridge residents can recycle
- 10 Motorbike 'deliberately' struck by car in Redbridge, police say
If you have any concerns about unsuitable accommodation being rented out call Redbridge Council on 020 8554 5000.