Councillors reject funding request for �13k Christmas lights in Cranbrook Road
Councillors at last night’s area four committee meeting refused a request for nearly �6,000 towards planned Christmas lights worth more than �13,000 in Cranbrook Road.
The committee, which covers Barkingside, Aldborough and Clayhall, voted not to grant the �5,853 requested by the Gants Hill Business Partnership.
Chairman Cllr Ashley Kissin said: “We are prepared to match funds with the business partnership of up to �2,500, as long as area seven does the same.
“We also would like some more information about whether the lights can be stored and used for the next year because they seem to ask us for the same amount of money every year.”
The plans would have put Christmas lights around columns along Cranbrook Road North and South.
You may also want to watch:
The decorations would have been funded by the Area 4 and 7 committees, along with �1,500 from Gants Hill Business Partnership and a further �1,500 from the town centre budget.
Basil Saunders, of Saunders Menswear, in Perth Road, said the business partnership would “have a discussion” about a new plan.
- 1 Ilford Town only place in London with average house price below £250,000
- 2 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 3 More than a thousand attend Eid in the Field in Woodford Green
- 4 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 5 Ilford care home turned into studio flats for rough sleepers
- 6 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
- 7 Man's suicide method thoughts were not in clinical notes, inquest hears
- 8 Chadwell Heath death: Barking man charged with murder of Maria Rawlings
- 9 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 10 Murder probe launched after mother-of-two’s body found in Chadwell Heath