Councillors reject funding request for �13k Christmas lights in Cranbrook Road
Councillors at last night’s area four committee meeting refused a request for nearly �6,000 towards planned Christmas lights worth more than �13,000 in Cranbrook Road.
The committee, which covers Barkingside, Aldborough and Clayhall, voted not to grant the �5,853 requested by the Gants Hill Business Partnership.
Chairman Cllr Ashley Kissin said: “We are prepared to match funds with the business partnership of up to �2,500, as long as area seven does the same.
“We also would like some more information about whether the lights can be stored and used for the next year because they seem to ask us for the same amount of money every year.”
The plans would have put Christmas lights around columns along Cranbrook Road North and South.
You may also want to watch:
The decorations would have been funded by the Area 4 and 7 committees, along with �1,500 from Gants Hill Business Partnership and a further �1,500 from the town centre budget.
Basil Saunders, of Saunders Menswear, in Perth Road, said the business partnership would “have a discussion” about a new plan.
- 1 'Last of a dying breed': Ilford pub scoops readers' vote honour
- 2 Coffee fanatics to open 'lively' new coffee shop in Redbridge
- 3 Best places to have a curry in Redbridge as chosen by readers
- 4 Homebuilder steps back from proposals over rising projected costs
- 5 Medics treat six people after three-car crash in Ilford
- 6 Council seeks public input after York Road anti-social behaviour concerns
- 7 Redbridge Tories urge front desk re-opening at Barkingside Police Station
- 8 Three new items Redbridge residents can recycle
- 9 Driver in critical condition after Ilford shop crash
- 10 Driver dies after Ilford shopfront crash