Council ‘actively marketing’ former South Woodford coach base left empty for three years
A South Woodford business lot vacated by a coach company three years ago has lain dormant since, Redbridge Council has confirmed.
Dan’s Luxury Travel operated from a site next to Charlie Brown’s Roundabout in Chigwell Road since 1982 but the company was forced to leave after being taken to court by the council in 2009.
The council wanted to increase the annual rent on the half-acre site from �15,000 to �46,000.
A council spokesman said another party was negotiating for the lease in 2009 and made a better offer than the coach company but did not then complete the lease.
He said: “Best offers were invited from both parties to ensure fairness and that the council secured best value.
You may also want to watch:
“This is usual practice in such circumstances.
“The vacant lot has been actively marketed.
- 1 Police appeal to find girl, 12, last seen in Wanstead Park
- 2 Man charged with Ilford robbery
- 3 Seven Kings man charged in connection with alleged sex assault on boy
- 4 Primary schools in Redbridge rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 5 East London road and rail disruptions to travel this weekend
- 6 Walk-in Covid vaccinations on offer at Valentines Park health fair
- 7 Ilford mother 'could have been saved' and NHS 'failed' her, family tells inquest
- 8 Update: Man charged in connection with alleged sex assault
- 9 Man wanted for allegedly driving 'recklessly' in Ilford with baby in car
- 10 Panel finds ex-police officer would have been sacked for neighbour comments
“Negotiations are in hand with a prospective new tenant for the site.”
He added that the council has not accrued extra security or maintenance costs or rates liability on the site since it was vacated.
The company now has a coach base in Roding Lane South, Redbridge, and a head office in Maybank Road, South Woodford.