Council ‘actively marketing’ former South Woodford coach base left empty for three years
A South Woodford business lot vacated by a coach company three years ago has lain dormant since, Redbridge Council has confirmed.
Dan’s Luxury Travel operated from a site next to Charlie Brown’s Roundabout in Chigwell Road since 1982 but the company was forced to leave after being taken to court by the council in 2009.
The council wanted to increase the annual rent on the half-acre site from �15,000 to �46,000.
A council spokesman said another party was negotiating for the lease in 2009 and made a better offer than the coach company but did not then complete the lease.
He said: “Best offers were invited from both parties to ensure fairness and that the council secured best value.
You may also want to watch:
“This is usual practice in such circumstances.
“The vacant lot has been actively marketed.
- 1 Restaurant apologises after allegations of verbal abuse between staff
- 2 Thirteen-year-old boy stabbed in Ilford
- 3 'Cheating surge': Dating site reveals how many people are having affairs in your area
- 4 Co-living development green-lit by council despite 'rabbit hutch' rooms
- 5 Vulnerable woman dies burning charcoal for warmth after gas and electricity are cut off
- 6 Young Citizen nominee: Esha, 4, who inspired thousands to join bone marrow donor list
- 7 Seven Kings School celebrates 90th birthday with fair
- 8 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 9 Nine Redbridge parks retain Green Flag Award status
- 10 Met Office warns of flooding risk with heavy rain set to hit London
“Negotiations are in hand with a prospective new tenant for the site.”
He added that the council has not accrued extra security or maintenance costs or rates liability on the site since it was vacated.
The company now has a coach base in Roding Lane South, Redbridge, and a head office in Maybank Road, South Woodford.