‘Conversation clubs’ launch for Redbridge people learning to speak English
- Credit: Archant
A network of new “conversation clubs” is starting across Redbridge this month to help people practise speaking English.
The 18 groups will be headed by volunteers trained at the Redbridge Institute to teach people who speak English as a second language.
The volunteers will lead discussions on everyday topics including work, education, family, shopping and health.
They will also talk about entertainment, life in Redbridge and news and current affairs.
Many of the free classes are open to all adults wanting to improve their English, but some have been specifically created for parents, who face the added challenge of helping their children.
You may also want to watch:
A session at Redbridge Carers Support Service, in Station Road, Ilford, is also running for carers from the refugee and migrant communities or who have recently arrived in the country.
Joni Cunningham, head of Redbridge Institute, said the conversation club project had started two years ago to encourage people put off by more traditional courses.
- 1 Redbridge issued more than 2,800 Blue Badge fines in 2020, data shows
- 2 Sam Tarry MP urges Sadiq Khan to block Goodmayes Tesco development
- 3 Barkingside man charged with intending to supply cannabis
- 4 Charity urges council to tackle alleged Ilford Lane anti-social behaviour
- 5 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 6 Barking and Dagenham and Redbridge 'least active' boroughs in London, study finds
- 7 BHRUT doctors taking on triathlon in memory of colleague’s daughter
- 8 King George Hospital gets new ultrasound rooms and upgraded machines
- 9 Protestors decry 'privatisation' of NHS outside Loxford Practice
- 10 Former Homebase development plans approved
She said: “The aim has been to increase people’s access to services [and help them] speak to doctors and teachers, take up training and improve job prospects.”
The conversation clubs are running every weekday at centres across Redbridge.
For information on joining a session near you, call the Redbridge Institute on 020 8550 2398.