Controversial South Woodford Community Centre Mosque plans to be decided
- Credit: Archant
A decision to redevelop a mosque will be made on Tuesday after plans were originally thrown out last year.
Plans to demolish the South Woodford Community Centre Mosque in Mulberry Way, and build a three-storey building for the benefit of “all members of the community” in its place were resubmitted earlier this year.
The proposal once again includes three floors consisting of a prayer hall, a community hall and three residential flats on the second floor.
The mosque was one vote away from having its application accepted in December but Cllr Robin Turbefield, left with the deciding vote, decided the plans were not compatible with, or contributing to, the distinctive character of the area.
Ahead of Tuesday’s meeting, Qaiser Malik, the secretary of the Qu’rani Murkaz Trust, which runs the mosque, said: “We have complied with the objections, and we have made suitable amendments to the application and the drawings.
You may also want to watch:
“We hope the committee members when reviewing it will be positive this time.
“We only lost by one casting vote last time from the chairman. Let’s hope things are more positive for us this time.”
- 1 Childhood sweethearts to open 'Brick Lane-style' deli in Barkingside
- 2 Ex-council staff who was sacked after bailiffs turned up at his work loses unfair dismissal claim
- 3 'Like prisoners in our home': Parents of attacked 13-year-old speak out
- 4 Walk It Out founder launches women's boxing classes
- 5 Thirteen-year-old boy attacked in Ilford
- 6 Restaurant apologises after allegations of verbal abuse between staff
- 7 Vulnerable woman dies burning charcoal for warmth after gas and electricity are cut off
- 8 Eatery 'at risk of closure' as scammers exploit Just Eat loophole
- 9 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 10 New boats arrive at Fairlop Waters amid country park investment plan
A decision on whether to pass the plans will be made by a planning committee at Sir James Hawkey Hall, in Broomhill Road, Woodford Green at 7.15pm.
Read more here: