Committee approves 4,200-person Olympic Games ‘hotel’ in Hainault Forest
Plans for a “temporary hotel” to house more than 4,000 Olympic security staff will go ahead in the historic Hainault Forest Country Park.
SnoozeBox Limited, in association with the London Organising Committee for the Olympic Games, was granted permission from the regulatory committee last night for the temporary accommodation at the park, in Romford Road, Hainault.
The accommodation will provide 4,200 security staff working at the Olympic Park during the London Olympic and Paralympic Games a place to stay for up to four months.
Cllr Richard Hoskins, chairman at the meeting held in Redbridge Town Hall, High Road, Ilford, said: “The application was approved last night by the committee however a number of conditions were imposed.
“The ground must be restored after it has been used by Snoozebox and be open to the public by the next summer season. We have also said the meadow at the far end of the park must be fenced off to prevent footfall and damage.
You may also want to watch:
“The committee also addressed the traffic issue and to prevent excessive traffic on the dangerous road outside the forest, the security staff will be driven to Fairlop Station instead of straight to the Olympic Park as originally proposed.”
The temporary structure, which will cover two fields and two car parks, will be made up of 250 containers providing rooms with double beds, flat screen televisions and en-suite bathrooms.
- 1 Girl, 16, allegedly raped in Ilford park
- 2 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 3 Travelling in and out of Redbridge? Your guide to road and rail works
- 4 Man found stabbed in Chadwell Heath
- 5 Doctor struck off after working underqualified for locum shifts
- 6 Newbury Park supermarket security staff step in to help man in crisis
- 7 Businesses find cannabis growing in their flower pots
- 8 Council dishes out £7k of fines in fly-tipping crackdown
- 9 Ambulance stations to close and be replaced by single centre, LAS reveals
- 10 Covid jabs available at town hall clinic
It will house about 3,000 Ministry of Defence personnel, 1,000 from security firm G4S and 200 from Snoozebox.