Committee approves 4,200-person Olympic Games ‘hotel’ in Hainault Forest
Plans for a “temporary hotel” to house more than 4,000 Olympic security staff will go ahead in the historic Hainault Forest Country Park.
SnoozeBox Limited, in association with the London Organising Committee for the Olympic Games, was granted permission from the regulatory committee last night for the temporary accommodation at the park, in Romford Road, Hainault.
The accommodation will provide 4,200 security staff working at the Olympic Park during the London Olympic and Paralympic Games a place to stay for up to four months.
Cllr Richard Hoskins, chairman at the meeting held in Redbridge Town Hall, High Road, Ilford, said: “The application was approved last night by the committee however a number of conditions were imposed.
“The ground must be restored after it has been used by Snoozebox and be open to the public by the next summer season. We have also said the meadow at the far end of the park must be fenced off to prevent footfall and damage.
You may also want to watch:
“The committee also addressed the traffic issue and to prevent excessive traffic on the dangerous road outside the forest, the security staff will be driven to Fairlop Station instead of straight to the Olympic Park as originally proposed.”
The temporary structure, which will cover two fields and two car parks, will be made up of 250 containers providing rooms with double beds, flat screen televisions and en-suite bathrooms.
- 1 Medics treat six people after three-car crash in Ilford
- 2 Best places to have a curry in Redbridge as chosen by readers
- 3 Valentines Park bench dedicated to couple described as 'pillars of community'
- 4 Three new items Redbridge residents can recycle
- 5 Coffee fanatics to open 'lively' new café in Redbridge
- 6 Homebuilder steps back from proposals over rising projected costs
- 7 Driver dies after Ilford shopfront crash
- 8 Ilford care home nominated for two national awards
- 9 Man dies after fall near Hainault station
- 10 Man rushed to hospital after being robbed and stabbed in Ilford
It will house about 3,000 Ministry of Defence personnel, 1,000 from security firm G4S and 200 from Snoozebox.