Citizens Advice Bureau warns Redbridge residents to hang up on PPI cold callers
The Redbridge Citizens Advice Bureau is warning residents to put the phone down on cold callers offering to help reclaim Payment Protection Insurance.
A national survey showed that nine out of 10 people had meet contacted by claims management companies within the last year.
Redbridge CAB said the companies charge large fees and take percentages of successful claims when residents can make claims through banks for free.
Some people are led to believe they can make a claim for PPI even if they were never mis-sold a policy.
Operations manager Ray Wood said: “People in Redbridge are sick and tired of being pestered by claims firms encouraging them to make a claim for mis-sold PPI.
You may also want to watch:
“We’ve seen a lot of people who have ended up out of pocket because of the excessive fees they’ve had to pay to the claims firm and in some cases they have never got a penny of a payout.”
For more information and advice, go to Redbridge CAB in Cranbrook Road, Ilford, or visit www.adviceguide.org.uk.
- 1 Girl, 16, allegedly raped in Ilford park
- 2 Travelling in and out of Redbridge? Your guide to road and rail works
- 3 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 4 Man found stabbed in Chadwell Heath
- 5 Newbury Park supermarket security staff step in to help man in crisis
- 6 Doctor struck off after working underqualified for locum shifts
- 7 Businesses find cannabis growing in their flower pots
- 8 Woodford Green bomb scare declared false alarm
- 9 Ambulance stations to close and be replaced by single centre, LAS reveals
- 10 Council dishes out £7k of fines in fly-tipping crackdown