Cigarette butts cause fire at block of flats in Woodford Green
PUBLISHED: 11:44 01 February 2016 | UPDATED: 12:00 01 February 2016
The Fire Brigade was called late on Sunday evening after a rubbish chute caught fire.
The fire brigade was called at a block of flats in Woodford Green at 11.26pm last night after rubbish caught fire between the seventh and eight floors.
Four fire engines and 21 firefighters attended the scene in Navestock Crescent, including crews from Woodford, Chingford, Leytonstone and Tottenham fire stations.
Investigators believe the fire started in the rubbish chute after cigarette butts were “carelessly “ disposed of in the bin area.
The fire was contained to the chute and there were no reported injuries.
The fire was under control at 1.10am today.
About 15 people evacuated the block of flats before firefighters arrived at the scene.
A London Fire Brigade spokesman said:“Last year around three fires a day in London were linked to smoking and half of accidental fire deaths were related to careless disposal of cigarettes.
“It’s absolutely vital you ensure your cigarette is completely out when you’ve finished smoking it. If you don’t, you risk causing a fire which could not only destroy your home, but also cost you your life.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.