Choose an eyesore for offenders to clean up
UNDER-fire Home Secretary Jacqui Smith has issued a rallying call to residents to choose which eyesore in Barking and Dagenham should be cleaned up first. The cabinet minister engulfed in the pornography on expenses row is asking the public to decide w
UNDER-fire Home Secretary Jacqui Smith has issued a rallying call to residents to choose which eyesore in Barking and Dagenham should be cleaned up first.
The cabinet minister engulfed in the "pornography on expenses" row is asking the public to decide where offenders will do reparation work.
She issued the call with Justice Secretary Jack Straw and the Probation Service on Monday as part of a nationwide Community Payback drive that will see one of five hotspots in the borough cleared as a priority after public voting ends on Friday, April 24.
The areas are: Goresbrook Village playground and Maplestead Road shops in Dagenham; a Back Lane walkway in Chadwell Heath; an alleyway and shops in Green Lane, Dagenham, near Burnside Road; Barking Park; and St Mark's Place, Dagenham. The Probation Service said the four other areas would be cleaned up afterwards.
You may also want to watch:
Ms Smith said: "It is vital that the public see that we are taking action to tackle the crimes that concern them most. Justice must be seen to be done.
"Community Payback is an important part of that process."
- 1 Redbridge parents' group donates six new laptops to families in need
- 2 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 3 Restaurant faces losing licence after allegations of illegal club nights during pandemic
- 4 Queen's and King George hospitals appeal for volunteers to support end of life patients
- 5 Residents furious after car park and lift flooded since before Christmas
- 6 Spiritual Life: What next for the great Hindu temples of Redbridge?
- 7 One in 20 may have had Covid-19 last week in Redbridge, Newham and Barking and Dagenham, figures suggest
- 8 Restaurant stripped of its alcohol licence
- 9 Growing public support for tougher pet theft sentences
- 10 Covid deaths increase at Queen's and King George hospitals this week
To vote, email payback@london. probation.gsi.gov.uk or call 07894 176 943.