Children get hooked on fishing at Redbridge Lakes
- Credit: Sandra Rowse
Children got hooked to reeling fish in, as they were invited to take part in a fishing competition.
The competition took place at Redbridge Lakes in Roding Lane North, Woodford Green, where about 30 kids were given the chance to have a go at getting their very own catch of the day.
Co-organiser of the day, Tony Parker, said: “This was a great way to introduce kids to the sport and to get them away from their computer screens and out of the house.”
But the winner of the day was 13-year-old Freddy Bennyer who caught a skimmer bream that weighed a whopping eight lbs four ounces and was presented with a new fishing rod.
Other prize winners included Cullen Stone, nine, who caught a six lbs two ounce fish, as well as 13-year-old Jonathan Georgiou, who caught a skimmer bream which weighed four lbs 12 ounces.
You may also want to watch:
Tony said: “I think everyone enjoyed learning how to fish and we hope this is something children will like to continue to pursue in the future.”
- 1 Mercato Ilford 'delayed again' as council pushes for Christmas opening
- 2 Two more police 'enforcement hubs' to open in Redbridge
- 3 'Not acceptable': Residents mount opposition to plumbers' building plan
- 4 ‘Hard to comprehend’: MPs react as Sir David Amess dies after stabbing
- 5 'Sick and tired': More restaurants fall victim to Just Eat scammers
- 6 The most expensive houses sold in your east London borough in August
- 7 Sikh volunteer group hands out food to celebrate International Langar Week
- 8 Six cars damaged and lamppost felled in late-night Loxford crash
- 9 Police warn of 'violence, urination' as takeaway applies for late licence
- 10 Five veggie-friendly restaurants in Redbridge, courtesy of TripAdvisor