Charity champion from Ilford could be crowned next Miss Essex
A personal assistant and charity volunteer is in touching distance of becoming the next Miss Essex.
Sehar Zam, 21, from Ilford, has been named as one of this year’s finalists and is hoping to inspire others to give their time to good causes after she started volunteering for cancer charity Macmillan.
The actress and model started volunteering after her sister was diagnosed with cancer and died while Sehar was doing her A-levels.
“I realised it wasn’t just us that was suffering,” she said.
“I know how much it affected me when I was at school, I know what it’s like, so for me it’s all about raising awareness of the charity.
You may also want to watch:
“If only I had known about Macmillan at the time.”
The bhangra dancer and beauty blogger, who has more than 10,000 followers on Instagram, said winning Miss Essex would mean “so much to me”.
- 1 Ilford man raises awareness of 'life-saving' gadget after dad's death
- 2 Woman had phone stolen at knife-point in Woodford Green
- 3 Ilford Exchange Debenhams to permanently close
- 4 Fire breaks out at care home under renovation in Newbury Park
- 5 Funeral service for 'giant of Aldborough Hatch' Ron Jeffries to be streamed on Facebook
- 6 Restaurant faces losing licence after allegations of illegal club nights during pandemic
- 7 Tributes paid to Ilford jazz legend Keith Nichols, who died from Covid
- 8 Safeguarding concerns at 'outstanding' Atam Academy in Chadwell Heath
- 9 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 10 Restaurant stripped of its alcohol licence
She said: “It means I can reach out to other people. It would mean a lot to me, I want to do so much more on an international level too.”
If Sehar takes the title, she could be in with a chance of becoming the next Miss England.
“I’m really excited, I can’t wait to meet the other girls,” said Sehar, who was named Top Commercial Photographic Model 2015 at Birmingham International Week.
“I really want to inspire other people and I’d like to get other people to follow in my footsteps.”
Sehar, who will appear in Bollywood film Ae Dil Hai Mushkil with Ranbir Kapoor in October, added: “My mum’s quite excited about it and my family has been really supportive.”
The Miss Essex final takes place today at Parklands Quendon Hall, Quendon, Essex.
Find out more at seharzam.com